Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
nhwanderer
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jordan Desroches

Veeam Agent running data through B&R/Proxy server?

Post by nhwanderer »

We have a remote site connected to our main site with a site to site vpn. There is a domain controller at the remote site I'm trying to back up with Veeam Agent 2.1 to a SMB NAS we also have at the same remote site. Let's not worry about offsite backups at the moment, I'm getting there, but this is a question somewhat independent of that :-) If I add the remote NAS to my B&R server at the main site as a repository, and try to backup the remote domain controller in either Server Managed or Agent Managed mode to the NAS using the Veeam Backup Repository destination option, it back hauls the data to the main site, and then sends it back to the NAS at the remote site. Is this expected? Would this still happen if I had a Windows or Linux repo at the remote site instead of a NAS?

If I chose Shared Folder as the destination the data goes straight to the NAS, but I seem to lose some of the reporting I would get by using the Veeam Backup Repository option, such as how much is backed up, if the backup was successful, etc..

What am I missing here? Is it possible to get the back to go direct to the NAS and retain the nice reporting of success/size/etc.?

Thanks all!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Veeam Agent running data through B&R/Proxy server?

Post by Andreas Neufert »

if you setup a SMB/CIFS share as Repository in Veeam Backup & Replication you need to select a Gateway Server at same site. Otherwise you will end up in your described scenario.