Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Naith
Novice
Liked: 1 time

vCenter Server Appliance Quick Migrate

Post by Naith »

Hi

I use Vmware Essentials with 2 Hosts each of them with local Datastore.

On Host Nr.1 i run vCenter Server Appliance, now i want to Quick Migrate this VM to Host Nr.2 but how should i do this?
I read one should add the ESXi Host on which vCenter VM runs as a standalone Host, but how?
When i try to add a Standalone host to Veeam i get an error that this Host already exists, which is true because it is one of the two Hosts managed by vCenter.
Do i miss something or get something wrong?
pcrebe
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Re: vCenter Server Appliance Quick Migrate

Post by pcrebe »

Try to add the host through IP if your vCenter is registered through fqdn or viceversa
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: vCenter Server Appliance Quick Migrate

Post by veremin »

Naith wrote:On Host Nr.1 i run vCenter Server Appliance, now i want to Quick Migrate this VM to Host Nr.2 but how should i do this?
As pcrebe has pointed out, you need to add a second host a standalone host to a backup console. Choose either IP or DNS - whatever makes it possible to proceed. Then, quick migrate said VM. Thanks.
Noiden
Influencer
Liked: never

[MERGED] vCenter quick migration for using VUM on orginal ho

Post by Noiden »

Hi,

I have two ESXi 6.5 hosts.
Host-1 and Host-2 where vCenter 6.5 appliance is on Host-2 for the moment, but to be able to use VUM to upgrade the host, the host must be in maintenance mode and all VM's powered down and because of that I can't have vCenter on Host-2 when I should do the update on that host.

I don't have a license with vMotion, I tried that, but I got a lot of warnings with CPU incompatibility on Host-1 that I should move vCenter to.

So I tried a run with the Quick Migration in Veeam instead and the guide went trough without any error, I did not start the job tough, because I started the quick migration through vCenter in Veeam, Inventory > vCenter > Host-2 > vCenter > right click and quick migration. Is that going to work? Will Veeam do a Host to Host job instead without the need of vCenter to be online? Because vCenter will shut down when quick migration is running?

Will the vCenter even run on Host-1 after the quick migration, because of the incompatibility errors I got through the "Migrate" on the vCenter interface? Because the Quick Migration guide in Veeam did not give me any errors when it checked the possibility to do the job.

Or is there an easier way? Replication job?

I know I could manually install the VIB's on the host, but it's a lot of VIB's and I don't want to manually download all and install them one by one.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

There is an official guide from VMware which describes the whole inter-host VCSA migration procedure for different scenarios, have you checked it already?

Thanks
Noiden
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by Noiden »

Hi,

Yes, but that method is a bit messy, and I don't have a shared storage. I will try with Veem Quick migration and see how it goes.

Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: vCenter quick migration for using VUM on orginal host?

Post by PTide »

The article also describes how to migrate without shared storage, you only have to make sure that you use static MAC. For instruction how to Quick Migrate please see the adjacent thread.

Thank you