Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: RH

Backup Hyper-V Host

Post by redhorse »

Hello,

until today we are using Veeam B&R just for our ESXi-Infrastructure but now I have to backup a Hyper-V server which is a standalone server in our branch office. There is a physical host with Hyper-V role and two Windows Server 2016 VMs (DC + Fileserver), now I am not sure how to backup the infrastructure.

My first idea was to backup the virtual fileserver with the already existing license for Veeam Windows Agent for Windows to a Synology NAS and then to tape. The tape device is attached to the physical host and this process works already fine. In addition to that I wanted to backup the Hyper-V host and the DC with Windows Server Backup to the same NAS and also to tape. Unfortunatly I ran into a known bug that the Windows Server Backup on Server 2016 can't backup to Synology NAS.

So my question: How should I backup the physical host to have an easy way to restore it in case of hardware error? Should I use the Veeam Agent for Windows to backup the physical host and buy single license of B&R for Hyper-V for the two VMs? Is it possible to use these licenses together with ESXi license per CPU?

Thanks for your answers.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backup Hyper-V Host

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Should I use the Veeam Agent for Windows to backup the physical host and buy single license of B&R for Hyper-V for the two VMs?
It all depends on how exactly you want the VMs to be processed, but there is a chance that you can make do with Agent for Windows just fine. The trick is that when you backup Hyper-V host with VAW then VSS writers inside VMs are also triggered. Please check this thread for a more detailed explanation.

Thanks
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Okay, that's a point I didn't know. Does this scenario also support backups of a DC?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

For virtual DC backup it would be better to use VBR, indeed. VBR performs additional guest processing thus making sure that DC will "rise" properly after restore.

Regarding VBR license:

Per-CPU and per-VM licenses cannot be mixed within the same VBR server. Also you cannot mix perpetual and rental licenses. You might need to have a separate VBR server installed in you case.
Alternatively, you can install Veeam Agent for Windows inside DC VM and use it for backup, it is supported. Should you choose to do so please note that FREE version will let you to perform only full VM restore, whereas Server edition will let you to perform granular AD items restores. Please also check best practices.

Thanks
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

PTide wrote:Alternatively, you can install Veeam Agent for Windows inside DC VM and use it for backup, it is supported. Should you choose to do so please note that FREE version will let you to perform only full VM restore, whereas Server edition will let you to perform granular AD items restores. Please also check best practices.
Granular AD restore is not important because we have at least two ESXi-DCs backups with Veeam B&R Enterprise. May I also use Veeam FREE vor the backup of the Hyper-V host? Not for the VMs, just the host to have a full backup for a bare-metal restore?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

May I also use Veeam FREE vor the backup of the Hyper-V host? Not for the VMs, just the host to have a full backup for a bare-metal restore?
Yes, free agent can be used for that purpose.

Thanks
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

I read something that I can‘t mix licensed VAW with free VAW when using B&R as target, is that correct?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Yes, that is correct.

Thanks
vCommunicator
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Doeme

[MERGED] Backup Host-Server

Post by vCommunicator »

Which option of ‘Veeam Backup & Replication’ backups the entire Hyper-V Host (not only the configuration database), for restoring the full server quickly in case of Host-Server failure? :)

Patrick
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi Patrick,

Such option is usually called Veeam Agent for Windows ;) Please review this thread for details.

Thanks
vCommunicator
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Doeme

Post by vCommunicator »

I thank you for your information :)
Patrick