Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
aidechoute
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

How to restore from DataDomain replica

Post by aidechoute »

Hi all,

I have Veeam B&R V8.
The job send the backup on a DataDomain Repository (CIFS). When the backup are on it, a replication will copy it on another DataDomain.

I want to know if it's possible to restore some data from the DataDomain wich have the replicated backup.

For example:
I backup on DD1
DD1 replicate to DD2
DD1 have an issue and is unavailable, I want to make a restore at this time....How to restore from the backup files on DD2??

Thanks for your help
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: How to restore from DataDomain replica

Post by Shestakov »

Hi,
Yes, it`s possible to restore from replicated backup. You need to import backups for that.
You can also restore specific files.
Thanks.
K2theSUP
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kyle

[MERGED] Restoring from replicated backups?

Post by K2theSUP »

In our environment we have nightly Veeam Backups occurring at our primary site and saved on the Data Domain. The backups are then replicated from our Data Domain to another Data Domain which is at our Disaster Recovery site. I cannot figure out how to have Veeam restore our backups from the replicated copy at the Disaster Recovery site in the even our primary site is down. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please see Nikita's reply. Also I would recommend using Veeam Backup Copy job, since DD replication is not recommended or supported.

Thanks
Gunni75
Novice
Liked: never

Post by Gunni75 »

Hi,

we used the same configuration with 2 DataDomains with the integrated DataDomain-Replication Process.
Backup-Copy Jobs by Veeam are too slow to replicating the daily Backup-Data.
This behaviour is in fact a technical issue by design.

Back to your question.
First you must configuring the secondary replication mtree on your Destination-DataDomain as an CIFS/SMB-Share.
Afterwards you integrated this Share as new Backup-Repository with option CIFS-Share + activating Import automatic Backup-Data
Finaly you have under the point "Disk (imported)" your Backup-Data (read-only)