Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
theta12
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Feature Request - Windows agent error message

Post by theta12 »

I had recently been backing up a Windows file server without any issues when suddenly, the job started failing with message "Processing fileshare.mydomain.com Error: Failed to connect to fileshare.mydomain.com:6160". I checked and the firewall ports were opened, the veeam agent was listening on port 6160 and I could telnet from my veeam server to the fileshare without any issues. I initially restarted the veeam agent and let the job run again. After a couple of night's of failures, I checked under the inventory tab and the server was showing online and the agent was installed. I ended up trying a rescan on this host and that's when it finally showed the error message "Could not connect due to incorrect username or password". Turns out, the service account I was using to backup this server had expired and just needed to be reset, but the backup failure error messages were pointing me in a completely different direction. Is there a way to pass the 'wrong user/password' message up to the backup job itself or do a simple pre-check and report on the status?

This isn't a huge deal but it made me chase a red herring for a couple of days while backups failed for this job and it seems like it would be simple to pass the correct error message up to the failed job.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request - Windows agent error message

Post by Dima P. »

Hello theta12.

I am glad to hear that your issue was resolved and pass your feedback to the development team. Thanks a lot!