Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cpfleger
Certified Trainer
Liked: 42 times
Full Name: Claus Pfleger

VSS issues known when DataProtector 9.6 was/is installed?

Post by cpfleger »

Hello,

I'm currently experiencing strange problems with MS SQL (2012) AlwaysOn Cluster running on vSphere 6.5 (b6816762) when using Backup Jobs with Veeam Backup & Replication (VBR) 9.5 U3 (application aware backup with transaction log shipping, no vSphere tool quiescence).

Up to now the clusters have been backed up using DataProtector (DP) 9.6 which utilizes an agent backup here.

According to HPE which has deployed the DP in past there should be no interference and therefore it should be no problem to run VBR Backup against that clusters.

But as said I'm experiencing strange VSS behaviour and cannot finalize VBR backup successfully.

So my questions are:
- are there any problems due to DP agents known yet?
- besides of that it is probably better to de-install the DP agent has anyone more intel here?
- if it should be truly necessary to de-install the DP agent are there any more actions to take (I remember eg. with TSM agent on a MS DC you have to set some registry hack as well)?

Regards!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VSS issues known when DataProtector 9.6 was/is installed

Post by foggy »

Claus, third-party VSS components can cause conflicts. Any chance to (at least temporarily) uninstall the agents and try without them?
cpfleger
Certified Trainer
Liked: 42 times
Full Name: Claus Pfleger

Post by cpfleger »

As a last effort yes, but this is a production environment under heavy usage and with very limited timeframes for changes.
So if VBR isn't able to do the trick pony right away they need to stay with DP to have a valid backup as long as the situation is solved. Understandable.

Regards!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I'd recommend contacting support to get a better idea of what's exactly causing the issue.