Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MadAsToast
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Hibbert

Veeam Backup v5 & VIM_VCDB Transaction Log Growth

Post by MadAsToast »

Afternoon All,

Hoping someone might have come accross this problem before and have an idea of a fix.

We recently upgraded our vCenter Server to version 4.1, since this upgrade the transaction logs have started going wild in size - I have researched this quite alot, and have the following observations / comment and fixes applied.

1) The database is in Simple recovery mode.
2) It's running MSSQL Express (5)
3) The database was an upgrade of version 4 to 4.1
4) The Veeam backups running overnight cause this transaction log to exceed 4GB

I'm pretty sure this isn't a fault of Veeam, and it's down to vCenter Server upgrade, but the reason for posting here is that it's definately the backups causing this to happen, I have run the backups during the day and watched the log file go nuts, I have run a trace on the database to ensure I am watching the correct traffic etc and it's definately coming from the software.

This wasn't happening before the upgrade so obviously a compatability issue between the two of them - has anyone seen this before or experienced this issue, the only fix I currently have is giving the transaction log file a drive of it's own and leaving it to run wild this obviously isn't a long term solution.

I have noticed that a backup of a windows server which has a LUN which is short on room is causing this to rise the fastest (like 1GB+ when sitting at 99% complete), however this might be a red herring ;)

Any help is greatfully appreciated, I have a technical call with VMWare but not heard anything yet, and wanted to see if anyone else has witnessed something similar.

TIA
MadAsToast
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam Backup v5 & VIM_VCDB Transaction Log Growth

Post by Gostev »

Hi, have you seen this VMware KB > After upgrading vCenter to 4.1, the transaction logs grow larger than normal ?

Also, are you using application-aware processing option in Veeam job settings?
If yes, do you have the same issue when this option is disabled?

Thanks!
MadAsToast
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Hibbert

Re: Veeam Backup v5 & VIM_VCDB Transaction Log Growth

Post by MadAsToast »

I've put a temporary solution in place - by increasing the available disk space this hasn't crashed again, not comfortable with the fix but will certainly look into the application aware processing option.