Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Fake51
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Lind

Backup Copy problems

Post by Fake51 »

Hi, I'm having problems with a backup job and wondering if there are any good solutions.

We have VEEAM 9.5 B&R running, with a backup copy job that is supposed to run continuously. It is set to only transfer data on weekends and between 22:00 and 07:00 to avoid congesting the network. The copy job is to a NAS on a different network.
Now, it seems that the copy bit actually respects the scheduling - however, there is a health check set for the copy job, and for reasons beyond my understanding this health check:
- maxes out the network, apparently transferring all data between source and storage, completely disregarding the schedule set for it (it's monthly, set to run on a saturday)
- disregards the data transfer schedule - so it's maxing out the line when it's suppose to idle

Are the any good solutions for this? This seems very, very buggy to me, as right now my options seem to be disabling the copy job or disabling the health check.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Backup Copy problems

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Please check that the mount server is specified on the same location as the backup copy job share. It will be selected for the background tasks. (Please update to latest version as it was different some versions ago).

As well please select a Gateway Server at same site for it (can be same server).
Fake51
Novice

Post by Fake51 »

Thanks for the reply, sorry for not getting back sooner - had assumed the board would notify me of replies by default :(

Could you explain what you mean by "mount server is specified on the same location as the backup copy job share"? Also, we're running version 9.5.0.1536, very recently upgraded. Can't find any version info on the Veeam website, so hard to say if it's the most recent.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

A share has no active component that can create the backup chains and perform all kind off additional processing... merges, compact, synthetic fulls, health checks...

So you need to specify a Veeam Gateway Server at CIFS Repository wizard on same site so that all the above processing is not performed between sites.

The mount server is the component that mount the backup files at restore. Usually it is placed as well on same site as the repository.... in many cases mount and Gateway Server are the same server.
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Post by tdewin »

Btw you are running the latest version based on this post : https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-r ... t9456.html
Fake51
Novice

Post by Fake51 »

Thanks for replying.

The issue might be that the repository for the copy job is external to the mount server - or possibly that Veeam doesn't see it as external but as a local drive (that's how it's setup, it seems). What you're saying is that the mount server should be directly connected with the storage, right? So to have local backup and external backup I'd essentially need two mount servers, right?

Also, no gateway server has been setup explicitly, far as I can tell, so will have a look at that.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You select gateway server for each repository and it should be located close to it, in the same location. The same server can play the role of the mount server.