Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Luca82
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: lo

VBO and multi tenancy

Post by Luca82 »

Hi everyone, I'm trying to understand how VBO could be used in a multitenant scenario. So, suppose I am the SP and want to offer a backup solution for my customers. Who need to install VBO? Me or my tenants? I see that there is no way to add a remote repository such cloud connect repository, but just only local server repository. Therefore what means that VBO is multi tenant?
Luca82
Expert

Re: VBO and multi tenancy

Post by Luca82 »

I've read the user guide :D

What I've understood is:
- provider side:
- install VBR with Cloud Connect license
- add some cloud gateways, add tenants, certificate....and all typical stuff related to Cloud Connect configuration
- install VBO and add tenants organizations with provided credentials (therefore tenants must share credentials with SP!!)
- again VBO: under options->authentication configure the authentication settings (this could link the tenent's VEX with SP's VBO)
- tenant side
- install VBR (also free license)
- add cloud connect repository and certificate
- on VEX, provide the credentials of Exchange organization

I think I don't well understand where to say on the VBO to use a VBR repository (which is related to Cloud Connect on SP side)
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen » 1 person likes this post

It is multi tenant in that way you can add multiple organizations and give the tenant access via the tenant 'admin' login. This allows you to create a RESTful API portal to perform self service restore (example can be found on GitHub) or use the Veeam Explorer for Exchange and connect to the VBO server. Have a look at this blogpost.

VBO will not use a VBR repository but will use a VBO repository for the tenant. This is different from the way VBR works.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Luca82
Expert

Post by Luca82 »

vmniels wrote:It is multi tenant in that way you can add multiple organizations and give the tenant access via the tenant 'admin' login. This allows you to create a RESTful API portal to perform self service restore (example can be found on GitHub) or use the Veeam Explorer for Exchange and connect to the VBO server. Have a look at this blogpost.

VBO will not use a VBR repository but will use a VBO repository for the tenant. This is different from the way VBR works.
Thank you!