Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Admaine
Novice
Liked: never

Offsite Backup Issues

Post by Admaine »

Hi There,

I hope you can help.

We currently run daily backups onsite and backup copy jobs to a NAS box that's offsite however, we are receiving errors on some of the bigger backups stating that files are already being used by another process. I adjusted the bigger jobs to run only on days where we don't have the larger tape backups running at Head Office and in essence tried to work around these other processes that are causing the problems. Do the backup copy jobs always run every day regardless of whether or not you specify a day? The only reason I ask is that I can only increase the number of copies per day/hour/minute rather than decrease them and default it to only run on the day I've specified in the schedule.

I hope you guys can help with my query.

Thanks in advance,

Ad
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Offsite Backup Issues

Post by veremin »

Do the backup copy jobs always run every day regardless of whether or not you specify a day?
What exactly do you mean by "run every day"?

You cannot set a particular day for backup copy job to run. You can only set synchronization interval (how often it should create restore points) and backup window (on which days it should not create restore points).

With backup window in place, a backup copy job will still be running, but it won't copy any data on prohibited days.

Thanks.
Admaine
Novice

Post by Admaine »

Thanks for your response. My experience in Veeam is fairly limited, if you edit the jobs there's a Schedule which I've only enabled for a particular day to try and avoid the error prompt that it's failing on due to another process that's running. As you mention above I still receive the email notifications that the jobs are running on a daily basis which I think might be causing the issues due to clashes. Can you schedule jobs to start after another job has finished with backup copy jobs in the same sort of way you can with tape backups?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

For this you will need to have a post backup job script that will enable backup copy job and issue sync now command.

That said, the best way to schedule a backup copy job is to set it to run several minutes after a source backup job starts. This way, as soon as restore point is created, it will be copied by backup copy job.

Thanks.
Admaine
Novice

Post by Admaine »

Thanks. So one of our virtual server backups kicks off at 20:00 (they then backup one after the other), is it literally a case of selecting 'Edit' on the same job but the backup copy that's transferring to the NAS, under 'Job' amending the 'Copy every 1 Day starting at 20:10'? and keeping the Schedule to run every day?

Thanks again.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Yep, that's the recommended approach. Thanks.