Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Oletho
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ole Thomsen

Migrated mailbox in hybrid Exchange bug?

Post by Oletho »

Case #02753992

I started with taking a backup of on-prem mailboxes before migrating to Exchange Online.

After migrating a mailbox I would have expected Veeam to discover that the mailbox is now in the cloud, but no. It gives me an "Account not found" error in the job.

Well, i edit the job, remove the on-prem mailbox and add the same mailbox as an Office 365 mailbox. Same job error.

When i edit the job again the mailbox is still on-prem?

I can repeatedly remove the (false) on-prem mailbox and add it as Office 365, save and edit again. It is still on-prem.

What to do?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Migrated mailbox in hybrid Exchange bug?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Ole,

I see that you have a case open with support so they should be able to help you further based on what they see in the logs. Without those logs I would be guessing here :-)

Discovering if the mailbox is moved to the cloud would make sense but is harder to achieve than it looks. Unless you have a connection between AD and AAD it is difficult to figure that out (even if the mailbox remains the same, the GUID and such are different).

Please keep us informed about the status of the support call

Thanks
Mike
Oletho
Enthusiast

Post by Oletho »

Thanks Mike, I guess my customer can live with having to remove the on-premises mailbox and add the same cloud mailbox as users are migrated.

Problem is that the mailbox seems to be sticky in Veeam after first backup, and cannot be changed from on-prem to cloud or vice versa. They can be deleted from the job though :)
Oletho
Enthusiast

Post by Oletho »

Oops, are you indicating that even if we succeeded in migrating mailboxes and after that reconnect them to Veeam, it would be a full backup from the cloud first time?

The reason we add them to Veeam on-premises is that then we don't need to run a full backup from the cloud. Or, so we thought, and also discussed with Veeam representatives.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Ole,

Yes. At this moment this is indeed the case. We don't have a mechanism yet in place that can do this and I am not certain when we will be able to create/ deliver something like that because of the above said limitation
Oletho
Enthusiast

Post by Oletho »

Feature request: Map on-prem mailbox backup to O365 mailbox :)