Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
PeterC
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Peter Camps

Moving the Enterprise Manager SQL database fails

Post by PeterC »

In the past we installed the Enterprise Manager server as a workgroup server with a local SQL database in SQL Express. All other Veeam related servers are in a backup domain. The EM and B&R server are running version 9.5 update 3.
Lately I noticed that the database size has reached 10 GB and it is getting very slow. I have tried to move the database to the SQL server where also the Veeam B&R database resides. All other Veeam related servers are in a backup domain.
But I am running into some problems here.

I have SQL Management Studio on the EM server and I am able to connect to the SQL server where I want to place the EM database.

On the EM server is stopped all VEEAM services, i stopped (and disabled) all SQL (express) services.
I then copied the VeeamBackupReporting.mdf and VeeamBackupReporting_log.ldf to the other SQL server. I attached the database without any errors.

I changed the following registry entries om the EM server (the database name did not change);

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup Catalog]
"SqlServerName"="BCKVBRSQL01"
"SqlInstanceName"=

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup Reporting]
"SqlInstanceName"=
"SqlServerName"="BCKVBRSQL01"

After this I tried to start the Veeam services but they failed, mostly with the error " SQL server is not available Error: SQL server is not available".
Most knowledgebase articles point to these registry entries, also Veeam.Backup.DBConfig.exe can be used (but this file is only available on the B&R server itself.

The only thing I can imagine is this occurs because the SQL versions are different. The SQL Express version on the EM server is SQL 2012 (11.0.3000.0) and the SQL Standard I want to use is SQL 2016 (13.0.4466.4).
Although attaching the database on the new SQL server is no problem and I can open the underlying folders.
For now I have restored the old situation and it works again but I still want to change the configuration.

Does anyone have an idea why this is failing and how to overcome this?

Grtx
Peter
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Moving the Enterprise Manager SQL database fails

Post by foggy »

Hi Peter, I'd try the DBConfig tool. You can take the Veeam.Backup.DBConfig.exe file from the Veeam B&R installation folder (by default, %PROGRAMFILES%\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup). Thanks.
PeterC
Enthusiast

Post by PeterC »

Unfortunately I had already tried using the Veeam.Backup.DBConfig.exe. I had copied it from the B&R server and started it.
But it immediately " crashes", it stops working. Starting it as administrator does not help either.
I don't know if I need to copy more files over (DLL or so) to be able to use it.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

In this case, please ask support for assistance.
PeterC
Enthusiast

Post by PeterC »

It has do to with the SQL authentication. When I attach the moved database on the SQL Standard server I get no errors.
But as soon as I start the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager service on the EM server I see that I get authentication errors on the remote SQL server:

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'. Reason: could not find a login matching the name provided. [CLIENT: 10.254.219.250]
The ip address mentioned is the EM server.

My SQL knowledge is not so great that I know how to fix this. I tried enabling Named Pipes on the new SQL server and fixing the SPN.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Probably it comes down to the fact the EM was previously installed in a workgroup. I believe our engineers will be able to help.
onspeed
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times

Post by onspeed »

Have you tried changing the Veeam Services on EM to logon with a domain account that also has rights within SQL on the target database server?