PowerShell script exchange
ddockter
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Doug Dockter

Start Veeam backup jobs via Powershell from Backup Exec

Post by ddockter »

I'm currently evaluating Veeam Backup (using vRanger now). My off-site retention policy is to keep M-F backups for 4 weeks and month-end backups (1st Friday of each month) for 12 months. To accomplish this I have two Backup Exec jobs (one that runs M-F and the other at month-end). Two jobs are required because of the different retention periods. Each of these jobs starts the same vRanger backup via Powershell in a pre-command step. Upon completion of the vRanger job, the backup copies the savepoints to tape. Backup Exec and vRanger are on different servers. I noticed that Veeam backup has the capability to run commands after the backup has completed. Initially I thought this would be much better. With the help of this forum, I have been able to start Backup Exec jobs using this function. This however doesn't meet my requirements of different retention periods as I'd always be running the same Veeam post activity job (starting the same Backup Exec job).

All that being said, what do I need to do to start a Veeam backup job from my Backup Exec server via Powershell? Or maybe someone has addressed the same issue in a more elegant manner?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Start Veeam backup jobs via Powershell from Backup Exec

Post by Gostev »

To start a Veeam backup job, you can use the Start-VBRJob PowerShell cmdlet, or command line from the Summary page of the job's wizard.