Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tscott
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Scott

Replica Failover isn't powering down prod VM or re-iping

Post by tscott »

So I'm playing with replicas in Veeam.. I have a VMWare cluster and a Veeam VM. I setup a replica job on a test VM and pointed it to another host that I have in the Vsphere environment with it's own storage (I haven't added this host to the cluster)..

The replica job is successful and I see the VM powered off on the "DR" host just fine.. The issue is when I select it under the Replicas>Ready and choose failover it powers it on as it should on the DR host but it does not power the other one off on the Prod cluster..

I've tried it twice with the same results..

I also tried to do the change IP and it's not doing that either..

Thanks
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Replica Failover isn't powering down prod VM or re-iping

Post by tsightler »

Performing a failover does not automatically power off the source host, so that's normal and expected behavior as this facilitates testing of failover without impacting the production environment, a very common scenario among customers.

Would need much more detail to understand the failure to change the IP, but the best thing to do would be to open a support case. About 90% of the cases I have seen have been one of the following issues:

1. Windows 2008R2 w/VMXNET3 adapater -- The replica recognizes the VMXNET3 driver as a different NIC because of the change in MAC address. This behavior is described in VMware KB 1020078 and there is a hotfix available from Microsoft based on the service pack level (the hotfix is linked in the MS article).

2. Re-IP rules are configured incorrectly.

For the final 10% there are quite a number of issues, probably the next most common is permissions issues on the target. Do you see in the failover steps where the re-IP is being performed and is it showing this step as successful?
tscott
Enthusiast

Post by tscott »

Thanks for the reply. Good to know I wasn't doing anything wrong.
tscott
Enthusiast

[MERGED] Different IP addressing scheme - Not working for me

Post by tscott »

I've tried this on two clients in test and can't get it working on either so I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong.. Here's what I have done..

I have a TEST VM configured with a static IP address.. I create a replica backup job and check the enable re-ip box.. I add my test VM and point it to my DR host. In the Re-IP rules I have added:

Source VM
IP: 192.168.146.*
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Target VM
IP: 192.168.147.*
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.147.1

I then do a replica backup.. I wait until that is finished and then I shut down the TEST VM on my production host.. I then go into Veeam and select to do a failover.. It powers up the replica and when I go into the IP properties of the NIC it is set to DHCP but the gateway is entered and grayed out.. And the gateway is not the Target gateway as specified above.. It's 192.168.146.1

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Tom, aside from checking what was suggested above, the most efficient way to troubleshoot this is to open a case with our technical support. Thanks.
tuscani
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Justin Durrant

[MERGED] Replica Failover Testing

Post by tuscani »

Works quite well.. the only thing I noticed is the Re-IP rule didn't work.. even though that tasked showed successful. The replica VM simply used a DHCP address. It should have assigned a static and updated DNS correct?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Re: Replica Failover Testing

Post by Gostev »

How do you initiate test failover? Re-IP will not work if you just power on VM manually (see sticky FAQ for VMware).
tuscani
Enthusiast

Re: Replica Failover Testing

Post by tuscani »

Right click > Failover Now...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Justin,

Can you please check if any of the suggestions above apply to your case? If not, then it's better to contact our technical support directly.

Thank you!
tuscani
Enthusiast

Post by tuscani »

Thanks.. I will try the HF and report back.
sswander
Lurker
Full Name: Scott

Post by sswander »

I realize this is an older topic, but wouldn't it make sense to have an option in either Failover Plan or manual Failover to power down the primary system?

How would I actually test this in a real live DR Test, where we want to run VMs at DR to test DR/BC plans, then after some time failback?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

In this case you'd better use planned failover, to avoid any data loss during the test.