Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
CloudSP
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian D

VAL on QNAP QTS 4.3.4

Post by CloudSP »

I would like to ask two questions regarding backing up my QNAP. Has anyone had any success using VAL on QNAP QTS firmware version 4.3.4? I would love to have the option to run the Veeam Agent for Linux directly on my QNAP to back up the entire QTS operating system and file system.

With that question asked, now I would like to know if anyone has had any success virtualizing the QNAP QTS operating system to run on a ESXi server?

Ultimately, I would like to get a disaster recovery plan in place that would allow me to run the QNAP as a virtual machine so that if the physical unit was to fail, I could continue providing the QTS as a VM while we get a new physical QNAP to restore to.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: VAL on QNAP QTS 4.3.4

Post by nielsengelen »

This is unsupported as VAL doesn't support that specific OS. You may be able to compile it to work on it however it won't guarantee what you want to achieve.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
BRaub
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bill Raub

Re: VAL on QNAP QTS 4.3.4

Post by BRaub »

Virtualizing the QNAP QTS on a ESXi server may not be allowed as the QTS is a QNAP property, if I understand what you're wanting to do correctly. From all that I've seen in investigating the QNAP's I believe it's ran on some version of Ubuntu if that helps any. This would actually make sense in that they support Ubuntu, Fedora, and Debian apps, but most notably "* Linux Station currently only supports Ubuntu. More systems will be supported in the future."