Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Veeam and IBM San volume controller (spectrum virtualize)

Post by Peejay62 »

Hi,

I am trying to integrate our Spectrum Virtualize SVC. For testing the SVC is added to Veeam and there is one vdisk (that on it's turn is one datastore) added to the storage infrastructure. I am able to create a storage snapshot/flashcopy. But, after creating the snapshot there is a scan for content. For this one datastore (250gb) this has taken more than 15 minutes. There is only one vm on this datastore. It seems to have performed a rescan for the original datastore and the flashcopy datastore. The latter fails : "17-4-2018 12:26:49 Error Failed to obtain list of VMs on LUN xxxxxxxxxx_Snap from snapshot xxxxxxxxx_Snap of volume xxxxxxxxx Error: There is no initiators available."
So two things : should that rescan take that long??? and am I missing something @configuration because of the scan error on the snapshot volume?

The create snapshot ends with a Success and it says "Storage snapshot is ready for restore operations". I can also browse the snap-volume and the VM on that volume is displayed.

thanks, Peter
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam and IBM San volume controller (spectrum virtualize

Post by foggy »

Hi Peter, could you please share the case ID for this issue? We need logs to analyze the behavior.
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Post by Peejay62 »

Hi, I made caseid 02777041.
Btw, I solved the first issue, the long rescan. There where some entries for esxhosts and a vcenter that were unreachable (old, obsolete entries). I removed those from the infrastructure and scan only takes some seconds. I expect the scan tries to connect for a while before proceeding. Maybe an optimization in the scan process is in order. The error for the snap volume persists, see case.

thanks, Peter
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Thanks, please continue working with your support engineer on the second problem.