Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ferjero989
Novice
Liked: never

feature request: Precalculation of data into tape

Post by ferjero989 »

hi
i a tape job that takes a bunch of backups into tape
if i set the media pool for paraelel procesing (library has 2 drives) its faster but the last 2 tapes are never filled up (waste of space)
if i disable paralel procesing, he will fill up every tape properly but it takes forever to finish this job
i think, veeam should know how much data he will backup into tape and how many tapes he will need before even starting the job.
for this reason, paraelel procesing should work fine as long as he takes the exact number of tapes he will need.. and not just take them 2 by 2 leaving the last 2 with over 50% of space free
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: feature request: Precalculation of data into tape

Post by Dima P. »

Hello ferjero989.
ferjero989 wrote:if i set the media pool for parallel processing (library has 2 drives) its faster but the last 2 tapes are never filled up (waste of space)
It depends on the media set creation setup and if you are exporting tapes or not. If you do not create a new media set for every tape job session then data will always be appended to exciting tapes even with parallel processing enabled.