Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Marco31
Influencer
Liked: never

Feature Request: GFS at Backup File to Tape

Post by Marco31 »

I'm just testing Veeam Tape Backup to supersede our old Backup-to-Tape solution (ArcServe). But there are some functionalities missing i think...
We do all our backups (Veeam, SQL-DB, SharePoint, etc) to one Volume on a backup server. I want to backup all these Folders to tape, with a GFS Rotation. Sadly, Veeam only Supports GFS media Pools with Option "backup to tape", not "files to tape"... So i have to create three simple Media Pools (Daily, Weekly, Monthly) to do some sort of GFS backup.
Can you please consider to implement GFS funktionality for files to tape in the next release? And another question, what will happen if a daily or weekly backup are scheduled for the same time?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature Request: GFS at Backup File to Tape

Post by veremin »

Can you please consider to implement GFS funktionality for files to tape in the next release?
Feature request noted.
And another question, what will happen if a daily or weekly backup are scheduled for the same time?
Two archives will be created within the same day: daily and weekly one.
Marco31
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by Marco31 »

Ok, that's not good... So no real GFS when i want to do Files to tape...

There's some other Feature i'm missing - is there a function to verify the Tape Backups? We often had issues where backup was made, but verifying the backup showed Errors which would have prevented a succesfull restore. This occured due to aging tapes and/or failing Tape-Drive-heads...
And how about including daily schedule to GFS? Nearly every Backup-to-tape solution i know supports this feature.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

So no real GFS when i want to do Files to tape
Correct, we do not support GFS for files to tape jobs, therefore, we don't catch GFS data overlap.

To avoid that you can use script that will check whether both daily and weekly jobs coincide and disable daily job in case of positive answer.
There's some other Feature i'm missing - is there a function to verify the Tape Backups?
Tape backup verification has been discussed before. So, please, take a look.
And how about including daily schedule to GFS?
This feature has high priority in our books, but I cannot share any ETA at the moment.
aich365
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Clive Harris

Post by aich365 »

Something that would be really useful would be for Veeam tape backups to produce a schedule spreadsheet (or table) with the week numbers/date and the tapes required.

it has taken a lot of effort to determine that the GFS works as follows:
Q1, W1,W2,W3
M2,W1,W2,W3,
M3,W1,W2,W3,W4,
Q2,W1,W2,W3,
M2,W1,W2,W3,
M3,W1,W2,W3,W4,
Q3,W1,W2,W3,
M2,W1,W2,W3,
M3,W1,W2,W3,W4,
Q4,W1,W2,W3,
M2,W1,W2,W3,
M3,W1,W2,W3,W4,Yearly
this was not clear in the manual pages
I have had to create a spreadsheet with dates and tape labels so the Customer can follow what is needed and when.
This data must be in the Veeam Config Database somewhere so should be relatively simple to extract?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Clive,
we are working on a similar Veeam ONE report. Basically it's going to be a calendar with job runs on it.
Will that address your request?
Thanks!
aich365
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Clive Harris

Post by aich365 »

A bit difficult to comment without seeing it but is sounds a step in the right direction.

It would be helpful also if Veeam Tape infrastructure in B&R showed which tapes are required. e.g. This week is Weekx or this week is Monthx
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »