Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Crashinit
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Craig Connoll

Clarification on Application-Aware Processing

Post by Crashinit »

Hi,

I need some clarification on the following please.
I am aware that Application-Aware Processing uses MS aware VSS writers to ensure that VSS-aware applications on a windows server is in a crash consistent state when it's time to restore from backup.

Can you please advise if Application-Aware Processing is required to ensure that windows is able to be recovered without any issues?

We have some windows VM's that have non VSS-aware applications installed (The software backs itself up to folder on the server) and just wanted to ensure that windows can be recovered successfully.
The Department that Manages the software on the server do not want veeam to install a runtime process and possibly interfere in any way as the software are susceptible to interference.
They want backups across these servers, but I also want to make sure that I am able to give them a restored windows VM which they can then use to recover their software through their own restore procedure.

Thanks,

Craig
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Clarification on Application-Aware Processing

Post by PTide »

I am aware that Application-Aware Processing uses MS aware VSS writers to ensure that VSS-aware applications on a windows server is in a crash consistent state when it's time to restore from backup.
Let me correct you - usage of VSS ensures that VSS-aware application are in application-consistent state when it's time to restore. If you perform backup without VSS then the application is backed up in a crash-consistent state.
The Department that Manages the software on the server do not want veeam to install a runtime process and possibly interfere in any way as the software are susceptible to interference. They want backups across these servers, but I also want to make sure that I am able to give them a restored windows VM which they can then use to recover their software through their own restore procedure.
You can backup Windows machine in a crash-consistent state without AAIP usage, which means that after restore the system would be in the same state as if it was forcefully unplugged while being in the middle of operations. Crash-consistent backup has no idea of data stored in RAM and awaiting I/Os. Windows OS can survive such event. Can an application survive that too? That depends on how that particular application works.

May I ask you what is that app for and how is it called?

Thanks