Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
enoch
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Peter Enoch

Nimble and Hyper-V

Post by enoch »

Hi everyone,

Currently looking at Nimble Storage to our current hyper-V 2012r2 and upcoming 2016.

Which storage features is currently supporten with Veeam B&R 9.5U2 Enterprise Plus (and maybe 9.5U3) ?

Many features seems to be VMware only or am I wrong?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Nimble and Hyper-V

Post by foggy »

Hi Peter, seems you mean storage integration and ability to backup from storage snapshots that is indeed a VMware-only feature, if we're talking about features developed by Veeam. For Hyper-V, this integration is native and technically similar functionality (so called off-host backup) is achieved with the help of hardware providers, so no additional Veeam B&R features are required for it.
enoch
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Peter Enoch

Post by enoch »

Hi Foggy,

Correct I was thinking of the Storage Intefration and ability to backup from storage snapshots.

It there currently anything about Storage Integration in Veeam that can be used for Hyper-V 2012r2 or 2016?

And the question, is there any future plans for doing this in Hyper-V?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

As I've mentioned above, similar functionality is already available for Hyper-V thanks to its native technologies.
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange »

Just to clarify, the storage vendor needs to provide a Hardware VSS Snapshot Provider that supports transportable shadow copies to do off-host backups. This is supported even without Enterprise Plus licensing with Veeam. Here's the relevant documentation: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Also, if you are using a Scale-Out File server presenting storage to Hyper-V via SMB file shares, then you can do off-host backups even without a hardware VSS snapshot provider. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
EzE
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric H

Post by EzE »

In the exact same situation. Upgrading to a new Hyper-V 2016 environment with Nimble SAN. Are there plans to bring this ability (to backup storage snapshots on a nimble) via Hyper-V in the near future?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

In the exact same situation.
Could you elaborate on that? If you're after backup from storage snapshots, be aware that Hyper-V enables that natively thanks be to off-host backup technology. Thanks.
L33T
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: V334M

Post by L33T »

Same spot as these chaps, just spoke to veeam on the phone for an hour, got told to speak with nimble who then promptly pointed me back at veeam. Spoke to veeam again, lots of urm and urm eventually to be told it`ll be escalated..

i`m on the presumption at the moment that buying the enterprise plus license upgrade is pointless unless you have vmware... How can we achieve backup from snapshot with Hyper-V, a supported hardware vendor such as Nimble and Veeam?

Cheers,
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Just use hardware VSS provider from Nimble and off-host backup. You do not even need an Ent+ license for that.
L33T
Enthusiast

Post by L33T »

Hi Foggy,

I have set that in the `manage volumes` section of each clustered host. I didn`t notice much different or any snapshots etc appearing on the san. At present the veeam host isn`t connected to the iscsi network, will this change when i get that connected?

Cheers,
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Have you configured an off-host backup proxy (according to instructions referenced above) and selected the off-host backup method in the job?
L33T
Enthusiast

Post by L33T »

Hi,

I have off-host backup set in the job with failover to on-host backup mode. I have a single host carrying all veeam roles.
EzE
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric H

Post by EzE »

I tried to set this up a few weeks ago and discovered that the OS of the off-host proxy needs to be the same as the Hyper-V hosts. In my case that means rebuilding my Backup server to Server 2016 to match the cluster.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

L33T wrote:I have off-host backup set in the job with failover to on-host backup mode. I have a single host carrying all veeam roles.
For off-host backup, you need a dedicated proxy, please see the link I've mentioned above.