Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ValbrunaUK
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Hunton

GDPR and Backups

Post by ValbrunaUK »

Hi All,

I'm doing all I can to read as much as possible on GDPR. It's a headache I'd rather do without but I have a question regarding it and backing up.

I currently have 2 VMs backed up to a NAS box. I also have a secondary job running which also backs these files upto a desktop HDD.

I'm considering activating encryption to protect the backups but I'm quite lost as to which way to turn.

If I activate encryption on my main backup job will the files retain the encryption when the secondary backup copies them to the desktop HDD? Or would I need to set encryption on both backup Jobs?

I also have a File to Tape job which backups up my working VM files and additional endpoint backup files. What would be the best method to encrypt this backup?

Thanks,
Chris
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: GDPR and Backups

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Chris.
ValbrunaUK wrote:If I activate encryption on my main backup job will the files retain the encryption when the secondary backup copies them to the desktop HDD? Or would I need to set encryption on both backup Jobs?
Encryption for backup copy job should be enabled separately.
ValbrunaUK wrote:I also have a File to Tape job which backups up my working VM files and additional endpoint backup files. What would be the best method to encrypt this backup?
You can encrypt the resulting tapes. In order to do that you must enabled encryption in Media Pool settings.
ValbrunaUK
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Hunton

Re: GDPR and Backups

Post by ValbrunaUK »

Thank you. That's great. I think I'm all sorted now.