Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Kyles
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kirk Iles

GFS Tape Jobs and Synthetic Backups

Post by Kyles »

Hello everyone,

Question about best practice for synthetic full backups and GFS tape jobs. At the moment I have backup jobs which create a weekly synthetic full backups on 1800hrs each Friday (Incremental Monday-Thursday). With a GFS backup job to backup those jobs to tape running Saturday midnight (weekly/monthly).

This works well but the tape backup job reports No GFS candidate for Weekly media set was found for today, waiting, followed by No restore points found for <date> . Synthesized full backup was not created because the most recent restore point is a full backup. Then the last full backup job is successfully written to tape 24hrs or so later.

Would it more efficient to turn off the generation of a full synthetic in the backup job properties. Turning it into a forever forward incremental backup and let the tape job generate the synthetics? (presumably the end result would be the same i.e. an incremental chain with a weekly full synthetic)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: GFS Tape Jobs and Synthetic Backups

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Kirk.
Kyles wrote: Would it more efficient to turn off the generation of a full synthetic in the backup job properties. Turning it into a forever forward incremental backup and let the tape job generate the synthetics? (presumably the end result would be the same i.e. an incremental chain with a weekly full synthetic)
Sounds reasonable if you don't have a strict policy to keep an extra full on disk storage. Moreover, such approach will save you some disk storage.
Kyles
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kirk Iles

Post by Kyles »

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for the quick response. I think I understand now- so in the case of the GFS backup job creating the full synthetic backup, once written to tape it will be removed from disk. Leaving the forever forward incremental chain on disk.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Actually, nothing will be created on disk - GFS restore point will be directly synthesized on tapes. More information can be found here. Thanks.