Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
tranquilnet
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tranquilnet IT Solutions

VAW Jobs Failing - Increase Job Time Out For Cloud Backups

Post by tranquilnet »

Now that the Veeam Agent For Windows supports cloud backups it may be wise to increase the default backup job timeout.

We have having large backup jobs over slower internet connections to our cloud connect server fail around the 7 day mark, which is the hard coded VAW backup job timeout according to Veeam Support.

Could we increase this to 14 or even 30 days?

Driving/shipping a USB to seed the backup is not a viable option for us.

Thanks,

-Will
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VAW Jobs Failing - Increase Job Time Out For Cloud Backu

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Will,

Increasing this timeout might help in this situation, but after 7 days of backup this would be an outdated backup already. What's your RPO for backup services? Also can you please clarify why seeding is not an option?

Thank you!
tranquilnet
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tranquilnet IT Solutions

Post by tranquilnet »

Thanks for the reply.

I do not see how the backup would be outdated other than it taking a longer than "usual" to complete, bu this is standard for initial cloud backups. As for the RPO, we do not like going more than 48 hours without a successful backup. With respect to seeding, I would prefer to click "run now" and wait 10 days instead of taking 4-8 hours of my day to buy an additional USB drive, kick off a backup, drive to the client, drive to the datacenter, drive back to the office, import the backup and hope that I do not have to do the same process over again :)

Is there anyway to increase this timeout be it hard coded or a configurable option that can be adjusted?

I think this setting was well suited when the agent was initially created but with veeam's new(er) direction in the local, cloud and MSP space, I suggest it should be reviewed as you continue to tie all these different products together.

Thanks,

-Will
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

I have just received the answer from Dima P. on this. The 7 days timeout is hard coded and cannot be changed without releasing the updated Agent version. I was also told that the main reasoning behind this was VSS related. Keeping the VSS snapshot for that long might lead to undesired circumstances.