Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
flakpyro
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: David M

Veeam SureBackup Appliance & Multiple Networks

Post by flakpyro »

Hey does anyone by chance know the root password to the Veeam virtual lab appliance? We need to create a few static routes with the 'route add' command for accessing VMs booted in this fenced off environment for testing, our server/production network is on a different subnet from that of our developers workstations so when booting a VM up in surebackup they need to RDP onto a machine on this subnet.

I can ping the appliance IP address and the VMs brought up behind it from the production network fine but i am unable to ping either from the subnet our workstations sit.

I believe this is simply a case of the appliance not having a route to this network i could be totally wrong here so let me know. :)

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam SureBackup Appliance Root Password

Post by Gostev »

You do not need to do the above. What you need to do is adjust your developers network routing settings to make sure you are able to ping proxy appliance IP address in production network from your developer workstations network. Alternatively, you may choose to just setup the new (dedicated) virtual lab with proxy appliance production IP being on developer workstations network, and this is going to be the virtual lab your developers will be using. Thanks.
flakpyro
Influencer

Post by flakpyro »

The second option sounds best, i am not sure why we are unable to ping the appliance on the production network from the developer network, we are able to ping all other virtual machines on the production network just not the virtual lab appliance. (IE the applicance is on .89 and cannot be pinged while a virtual machine on .88 replies fine. Its very strange.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, very strange. Was it even running? Did you check if you can ping your appliance IP address from the actual production network that it is located on?
flakpyro
Influencer

Post by flakpyro »

I can ping the appliance from the actual network it is located on.

I actually found a thread posted by someone that seems to describe my issue perfectly:
Virtual Lab advanced routing brainteaser

Your reply right here seems to be exactly what is happening, when i set the isolated network side ip address to an address other then my gateway IP i am able to ping it from other networks fine. Of course then the VMs that are brought up on the isolated side cannot find their default gateway :wink: , if i log into the isolated VM and change its gateway to reflect the appliances isolated IP am able to access it from any network fine and everything works as expected.

So it seems like the appliance is confused by the production default gateway being the same as its isolated IP address?

Hopefully this makes sense? If it helps i can take screenshots of my virtual lab config.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

According to the second page this cannot be the issue. Frankly, I don't remember if we ever did that webex. And the corresponding developer is not in the office right now for me to check on this. But thanks for pulling this topic up, I forgot all about it!
flakpyro
Influencer

Re: Veeam SureBackup Appliance & Multiple Networks

Post by flakpyro »

No problem i try and search before making a new topic as a rule :)

If you would like to see this via webex we would be more then happy to help. Otherwise we will just use a virtual lab with a proxy appliance production IP on the developer network as you initially suggested.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Re: Veeam SureBackup Appliance & Multiple Networks

Post by Gostev »

The appliance developer is our for vacation, so we won't be able to do this right now, but I will keep you offer in mind, thanks!