Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CraigZA
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Craig Shone

Integrating an offsite DD2500 with Veeam

Post by CraigZA »

Hi everyone, bit of a novice here with Veeam & EMC Data Domain, hoping for some more experienced Veeam/EMC DD users to comment:

Currently have the below environment, 4 host VMware cluster, +/- 30 VM's, +/- 20TB, connected via FC fabric to an EMC VNX SAN.

Backup is currently via a BackupExec VM to an EMC DD2500 over LAN. Nothing offsite.

Wanting to move to Veeam to allow:

a.) direct SAN access for the Veeam proxy over FC and backup jobs to Veeam B&R repository over 10gbe SFP+
b.) backup copy job of critical VM's to 16 x 6TB USB 3 disks (rotated in quantity of 4 weekly and taken offsite)
c.) offsite copy dedupe backup to EMC DD2500 over private Layer 2 MPLS link to DC COLO location where the DD2500 will be housed
d.) backup of the Veeam proxy and Veeam B&R servers (Veeam Windows Agent?)

Active fulls, synthetic fulls, daily forward incrementals for the B&R repository & USB disks. Pretty confident I can achieve this, will need some scripts for the Linux VM's but that's what a test environment is for.

My questions are:

1.) Having not used a deduplicating storage appliance before, is my goal achievable given the above?
2.) Do I need any sort of gateway server or any other hardware/software to accomplish the backup to the DD2500?

Any advice welcomed and appreciated!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Integrating an offsite DD2500 with Veeam

Post by foggy »

Hi Craig, yes, your scenario looks reasonable, I recommend to review the following KB article as well as this white paper for best practices. This thread might also be useful.