Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Failed restore "The parent virtual disk has been modified"

Post by marius roma »

I attempted to restore a VM from a recovery point and the restore was reported as successfull.
However, when I try to start the restored VM I get a VMware error saying that the parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created.
The details of the error look like:

Code: Select all

An error was received from the ESX host while powering on VM My_VM_01.
Failed to start the virtual machine.
Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/xxx-xxx-xxx/My_VM_01/My_VM-000001.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on. 
The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created. The content ID of the parent virtual disk does not match the corresponding parent content ID in the child
Module DiskEarly power on failed. 
Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/xxx-xxx-xxx/My_VM_01/My_VM_1-000001.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on. 
The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created. The content ID of the parent virtual disk does not match the corresponding parent content ID in the child
I repeated the restore with the same problem.
Have I made any mistake while performing backup or restore?
How can I ensure I can restore my VMs in case of need?
Regards
marius
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Failed restore "The parent virtual disk has been modifie

Post by Gostev »

Hello, please avoid posting log snippets and instead include support case ID with the complete support logs bundle uploaded, as requested when you click New Topic. Thanks!