Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
mschlott
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Schlottman

Why did you choose Veeam for Office 365

Post by mschlott »

My organization will be migrating to Office 365 this year. We are a Veeam shop for all of our virtual infrastructure and I am a happy customer. Currently, our Exchange environment is physical so Veeam is not involved.

My Exchange administrator is suggesting that we simply use the O365 Litigation Hold features instead of a backup solution. I personally am not happy with the recovery options provided by that. We also have not seriously looked into the recovery of other O365 objects.

I'd like to hear from those who are using Veeam for O365 and tell me what drove you to choose it over other backup products or nothing at all.
stvajnkf
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times

Re: Why did you choose Veeam for Office 365

Post by stvajnkf »

I feel like Microsoft has pretty good redundancy, and features that let you control when files are deleted. But what if someone over there makes a mistake? What if a hacker or virus gets on your users' computers and deletes their email and we don't notice it before the retention time expires? Microsoft can't recover from those. That's why we want a local backup (though I currently don't use Veeam, I use CodeTwo).
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton » 1 person likes this post

Take a look at this Gartner paper discussing the reasons to protect O365 and in particular issues with simply using features such as "litigation hold."

https://go.veeam.com/wp-gartner-report- ... 365-backup

Joe
ctalbot
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Carlos Talbot

Post by ctalbot » 1 person likes this post

In addition,

no amount of legal hold will prevent a scenario where ransomware encrypts your mailbox such as the following: https://blog.knowbe4.com/heads-up-new-r ... time-video