Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
guitarfish
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

Throttling Backup Copy job?

Post by guitarfish »

Scenario: During night when Backup Copy jobs run, there's an internet connectivity issue. Issue resolves, and jobs resume, but spill over into new workday. I would like to limit the amount of bandwidth used by Backup Copy so there is sufficient bandwidth available for daily workflow.

I have at times needed to cancel a Backup Copy job running during the workday because it consumes too much bandwidth, but I get a note that doing do will leave cloud repository in an inconsistent state.

What are my options here?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Throttling Backup Copy job?

Post by foggy »

You need to configure traffic throttling rules for the involved source and target repositories.
flesz
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick

Post by flesz »

is it possible to throttle bandwidth to cloud repository?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Yes, just set the "source subnet - Cloud Gateway public IP" throttling rule and every job will respect it (unless it uses WAN acceleration).
owen.wright
Service Provider
Full Name: Owen Wright

Post by owen.wright »

Hi Foggy,
Just to jump on this one, I have customers in the same scenario with limited bandwidth.
My understanding was that throttling doesnt work with WAN Accelerators in place.
My customers cant complete cloud backups without WAN acceleration due to bandwith limitations.

How would a customer with limited internet bandwidth, therefore using WAN Acceleration use throttling. Is this actually still an issue?
If so, does Veeam have an ETA on when this can be addressed?

Cheers
Herbert Sz
Veeam Software
Liked: 202 times
Full Name: Herbert Szumovski

Post by Herbert Sz »

Just a thought:
Wouldn't it be enough for your purposes to throttle WAN accelerator traffic as a whole, by a Windows QOS policy ?
One could e.g. limit the outgoing traffic on the source accelerator to destinationports 6160-6165 to 10 Mb/s by the following:
new-NetQosPolicy -Name "VeeamThrottle" -IPDstPortStartMatchCondition 6160 -IPDstPortEndMatchCondition 6165 -ThrottleRateActionBitsPerSecond 1e7 -PolicyStore $env:computername

This could be active during the day, and deleted during the night (so that the full BW is available):
remove-NetQosPolicy -Name "VeeamThrottle"

Instead of the ports one could also use the name of the datamover-App on the source side, but I don't know that:
new-NetQosPolicy -Name "VeeamThrottle" -AppPathNameMatchCondition "xxx.exe" -ThrottleRateActionBitsPerSecond 1e7 -PolicyStore $env:computername
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

owen.wright wrote:My understanding was that throttling doesnt work with WAN Accelerators in place.
Correct, throttling doesn't work with WAN accelerators in place, that's why I specifically mentioned that in brackets.
halllowien
Novice
Full Name: David Brunner

Post by halllowien »

Hello,

is this maybe changed in v10?
Is it possible to throttle Network with Veeam and use of Wan Accelerator?

Greets
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi David, actually the discussion above applies to the Cloud Connect environment - if this is not the case for you, feel free to use throttling on WAN accelerated links.

Also, I must admit that for the Cloud Connect environments discussed above I might have introduced some sort of confusion as there are actually two ways of throttling data there and they work differently with WAN acceleration. You're unable to throttle bandwidth from the provider side if WAN acceleration is involved, that's still true but we're going to address this in one of the upcoming releases. However, traffic throttling rules configured on the tenant's side should work with WAN acceleration fine even though the actual WAN accelerator IP is hidden and you have to specify the Cloud gateway server as the target in the rule settings.
Argon
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by Argon »

Hello,

Just a small question on this. We have many Backup Copy Jobs configured with WAN acceleration on. Also those sites do have a Network Traffic Rule (throtteling) active.
Can you confirm that the throttle settings are still respected once you use the WAN accelerator?

We have a production site with a very slow internet connection. We are throttle the speed to approx 12Mbps. If the WAN accelerator ignores this setting we will run in troubles with other communication that needs to be send over that internet line.

Thanks!
Maxim Karganov
Influencer
Liked: 6 times

Post by Maxim Karganov »

Hello Argon,

Yes, Network Traffic Rules apply to WAN accelerators if accelerators are involved in the backup copy process.

Please refer to our User Guide for additional information.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks.