Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Frank_190
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Frank Pisano

Understanding Backup Copy Interval Change

Post by Frank_190 »

I have a support case (02976250) about a Backup Copy job. The error is " Failed to merge full backup file Error: The semaphore timeout period has expired….". Support is saying this is due to the copy interval expiring, the job is taking more than three days. The support person I am working with advised me to up the copy interval from one day to two.

I am a little slow to understand what impact this will have on my RPO. I would like to have a copy take place every night on my off site location. If I up this to two days, would that leave me with an every other day with no current backup on the offsite?

I have read some of the links that were sent that are supposed to explain how this works, but they are not that in depth. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Any additional explanation would be helpful.

Thank you
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Understanding Backup Copy Interval Change

Post by foggy »

Hi Frank, yes, backup copy job creates a single restore point during each copy interval, so with two times longer interval you will have two times less restore points. I would, however, look at the possible reasons of the slow merge operation. What kind of storage do you have and how it is added to Veeam BR as a repository?
GLShoulders2
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Gerry Shoulders

Post by GLShoulders2 »

If a backup copy job expires will it start all over the next interval or pick up where it left off?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It will start looking for the new data that corresponds to your defined RPO (copy interval) period.
Frank_190
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Frank Pisano

Post by Frank_190 »

@ Foggy. We are using a SANs with a CIFs store. From what support told me the slowness is the storage. So now I need to figure out how to deal with that bottleneck. Would a Veeam Proxy host help out, or is that just a waste of time, since the storage is the bottleneck?

Thank you
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Is this CIFS share presented directly to the backup server? In this case gateway server located closer to it (in remote site) will definitely help.