Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
edwindb76
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Edwin den Boer

Restore backup from tape from removed host

Post by edwindb76 »

Hello,
I try to restore a backup from tape from a backupserver which doesnt exist anymore. Restore operations failed with error: Restore from host {servername] is skipped because host could not be found. Could be because backup was performed by a different backup server. Try adding the host manually. Is it possible in some way to access and restore the files from the backup tapes?
Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Restore backup from tape from removed host

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Did you perform "Catalog Tape" procedure against the tapes on your new VBR?

Thanks
edwindb76
Novice

Post by edwindb76 »

Yes, catalog tape procedure is performed. Tape and his contents is visible in imported mediapool.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Edwin,

Can you please clarify what type of restore you are trying to perform? If that’s a file from tape restore, please check if you see this error while performing a recovery to ‘this server xxx’ instead of ‘original location’ at destination step of restore wizard.
edwindb76
Novice

Post by edwindb76 »

Hi Dmitry,
I probably clicking too fast through the restore wizard. Selecting 'to this server' instead of 'original location' does do the trick. Thank you very much!
paruccone
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alessandro Tiberti

Post by paruccone »

yes & no... Trying to restore only some directories and...

when "This server" is selected instead of "Original location" a "path to folder" must be specified (else: "Invalid folder path").

But that doesn't work because:
- whether I specify the root folder (which fails because there's not enough space in the root filesystem but there is in a volume mounted in the subdir)
- whether I specify the folder in which a volume is mounted (which makes impossible to restore files&dirs to their original locations and skip/overwrite pre-existing files)

Would be workaround-able with a "Don't check free space" option or a "Original path on different server" (or even better if path to folder can be left blank assuming original path).