Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
the_mentor
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: DeMentor

Please add support for snap packages.

Post by the_mentor » 1 person likes this post

Hi Veeam Developers,
Please package the veeam agent for linux in the universal snap package format to make it easier to install and update.
This will also allow for more distributions to download veeam agent for linux.

thank you !
-DeMentor
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Please add support for snap packages.

Post by nielsengelen »

We'll look into it. May I ask for which distros you are already using snap?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
the_mentor
Enthusiast

Post by the_mentor »

Ubuntu/Ubuntu Core and a few other distros that support snap packages for example solus.
snap packages will allow for easier deployment and updates.

Thank you !
-DeMentor
the_mentor
Enthusiast

Post by the_mentor » 1 person likes this post

vmniels wrote:We'll look into it. May I ask for which distros you are already using snap?
Here you can find an updated list of distributions and more information on snaps:
https://snapcraft.io/

Thanks.
-DeMentor
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

Thanks for the link. Could you let us know which ones you are actually using (or is it still limited to Ubuntu & Ubuntu Core in your environment)?
the_mentor
Enthusiast

Post by the_mentor »

I am currently using a few of them but my mine distribution is Solus.
-DeMentor
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Although your feature request has been noted, it is unlikely that VAL will support snap packages for distros other than major (Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS etc.) soon.

Thank you!
drohm
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Doug

Post by drohm »

@PTide what difference does it make what OS he's using? A snap package is a snap package, regardless of the OS he's using. Thats kind of the point of snaps (or flatpaks even). They're universal and will run on any OS that supports it.

For the record, I'm using Solus and would *really* like to see Veeam add support for snaps.
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

We ask OS information for extra statistics to get a better idea on what is being used in combination with VAL.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,
They're universal and will run on any OS that supports it.
That does not sound very universal, to be honest :)

Also I have a question - how is installing snap package much easier than using apt-get install veeam? What are the benefits of using snappy for you?

Thanks
drohm
Novice

Post by drohm »

vmniels wrote:We ask OS information for extra statistics to get a better idea on what is being used in combination with VAL.
Yep, and thats perfectly valid. My comment was in regards to how PTide phrased his statement, which makes it sound that snaps only work on some linux distributions, which to my knowledge, is not the case.
drohm
Novice

Post by drohm »

PTide wrote:That does not sound very universal, to be honest :)
You're missing the entire point of snaps or flatpaks.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

I dare to think that I understand the main (but not the only) purpose of snaps - to pack everything an application might need and deliver the application as a single piece, thus avoiding cross-compatibility problems and problem of system libraries updates. Everything is controlled by snapd which is claimed to be available on a vast majority of distros. Yes, we could create .snap for one of the two packages that constitute VAL, but the second packages contains the kernel module which is required for VAL to work. As far as I know, currently it is quite problematic to carry out such operations using .snap packages. That is, you will still have to install the module via conventional means (rpm/deb packages). Although I admit that snaps can simplify things, currently it is not much use of it for VAL, unless they (snapcraft) have already developed the way to install kernel modules. Again, please tell us what are the benefits for you? Current installation process via deb/rpm packages is not complicated, or is it?

Thanks
drohm
Novice

Post by drohm »

@PTide - I'm running Solus, which debs or rpms do not work. The benefit would be that I can run VAL on Solus, thats the end goal :) I like the product...a lot. Again, my request for snap (or flatpak) support isn't just for having an alternative method of installation, it's so that I can actually run it.

I suppose, an alternative to this, would be to build this natively as a solus package. Would that be a possibility? https://solus-project.com/articles/packaging/

Going that route would get around the kernel module problems with snaps.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

I'm running Solus, which debs or rpms do not work.
Well, that's a bummer, indeed. We'll take that into consideration. Meanwhile, may I ask you how you use that distro? I mean, is it for gaming, coding, or some other application?

Thanks.
drohm
Novice

Post by drohm »

PTide wrote:Meanwhile, may I ask you how you use that distro? I mean, is it for gaming, coding, or some other application?
I do some occasional gaming with it, but it's primarily my work machine doing Python development. Thanks for taking it into consideration, I really do love the application. It's saved my hide a couple times.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Have you ever tried to install drivers onto it? For example some gaming controller? I wonder what is the conventional way for that distro to install modules...

Thanks
krzynio
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Krzysztof

Post by krzynio » 1 person likes this post

May I ask for the same, please. Veeam Agent Free is best backup solution for not only for servers but for workstations also but fast changing Linux components make that Veeam for Linux has problems with compilation especially on testing Linux releases. So it would be really very nice to have kernel independent Veeam version provided as snap, flatpak or appimage package.
Tecbil
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by Tecbil »

+1, would love to see Veeam Agent for Linux as an appimage.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Kernel independent version will be reliant on LVM snapshots because veeam snapshot module depends on kernel.

veeamsnap/blksnap is exactly the thing that allows you to take a snapshot of filesystems that don't have LVM beneath them.

That is, flatpak, appimage, or snap will still require either a precompiled kmod/kmp in order to keep the snapshot functionality, or you will have to compile the module separately. Otherwise you'll have to make sure that your machine meets certain criteria to be able to use snapshots.

Thanks!