Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
missingno
Lurker
Liked: never

Recovery Media can't be moved (and other things...)

Post by missingno »

Hey everyone,

here's the problem: my aunt made a full backup on a machine running the "latest" Windows 7 version. She also created a recovery image and moved the files to an external hard disk. The old PC died, she bought a new one and wanted to restore her files using the veeam backup. I was able to copy all the files from her external HDD to my PC except for the recovery image. Sometimes it says "invalid ms dos function", other times it says "Error 0x800701E3".

Here's my question: how can I copy the recovery image to a USB stick or a CD? Can I use another recovery image made with the same Veeam Agent version? Or is there some other way to restore her files from the backup to the new machine?

Some facts: the old machine was a Samsung laptop from the last century with Windows 7, she used Veeam Agent for Windows Version 2.0.0.700 for creating the backup and the recovery image (.iso file). The new laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 320 with Windows 10 version 1803. The external hard drive is a Seagate Backup Plus with 4TB.

Can anybody here help a noob? It would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance and have a nice evening.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Recovery Media can't be moved (and other things...)

Post by Dima P. »

Hello missingno,
missingno wrote:I was able to copy all the files from her external HDD to my PC except for the recovery image. Sometimes it says "invalid ms dos function", other times it says "Error 0x800701E3"
It's not possible to copy recovery partition. If computer was replaced - you can create a new recovery media instead of the old one (hardware was changed, so old media contains old drivers anyway).
missingno wrote:The new laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 320 with Windows 10 version 1803.
Sounds like you don't need Bare Metal Restore at all. Install Veeam Agent for Window on new laptop and run File level recovery to restore the desired files to the fresh operating system.
missingno
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Recovery Media can't be moved (and other things...)

Post by missingno »

Hey Dima,

thanks for your reply. Turns out I had a lot of errors in my reasoning. I discovered that the external hard drive had quite a lot of bad sectors, too many for a brand-new device. I suppose these were the reason why I couldn't copy the recovery file.

In the end I managed to restore both partitions by reducing the size of the Lenovo partition. I created two new partitions which I left empty, then I created a new recovery file with the same version of Windows but without network settings, drivers etc. I was able to succesfully restore the two partitions to the new laptop.

Thank you for your answer anyway!