Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
cielostarNA
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Gregory Vance

Restore Job from Endpoint Backup 1.5 in Agent 2.1

Post by cielostarNA »

Hello all,

I'll try to keep this as concise as possible to the backstory and what is currently happening.

Backstory
We had a physical server running Server 2008 R2 Standard x64 that had Veeam Endpoint Backup 1.5 installed on it and it had made multiple large backup jobs that were safely stored on an internal network NAS. When Veeam Agent for Windows was released, this upgraded Veeam Endpoint Backup from 1.5 to 2.1 and changed the schema on how things are backed up. When this happened, I started a new backup path with the software, thinking the old backups would still be accessible in case a call for a restoration was made. I have found out now that this is not the case.

Steps Taken to Try to Recover
After finding out that Veeam Agent for Windows 2.1 cannot open the VBM/VBK file(s) made under Veeam Endpoint Backup, I went to Google to find a solution. One way I found that might work was to install Veeam Backup and Replication and use the Extract Utility to try and open the Full Backup VBK file. While I was able to see the backups and attempt to open, I would eventually get a critical error stating "Unable to allocate memory for storage metadata bank." and the job would fail out.
As the previous attempt would not work, I contacted Veeam Support and the tech confirmed that A) The upgrade had brought me to a new version of Veeam that does not support the backups made under the older version, B) I can attempt to install the old 1.5 Endpoint Backup and try to open those old backups, and finally C) If that doesn't work, I have no recourse other than to look to help in the forums as 1.5 is an unsupported product.
I installed Veeam Endpoint Backup 1.5 to a Server 2012 R2 virtual server, went through the File Level Restore and looked to the folder where the backups are and I am seeing nothing listed. When I tried the Extractor Utility, I would see the files at least.

The Ending Dilemma
I do not know what I can do from here as Support can no longer help me and the 1.5 Endpoint Backup doesn't see the backup files. Can anyone help me out in this situation?

-Greg
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Restore Job from Endpoint Backup 1.5 in Agent 2.1

Post by DGrinev »

Hello Greg and welcome to the community!

Unsupported backups made by older version - totally wrong statement. No matter what version, all backups should be available for restore.
Can you provide more details about Backup job type, what kind of error you've got during restore attempt?
Also, share the case ID number, so we can review details on the internal system. Thanks!
cielostarNA
Novice

Post by cielostarNA »

Good morning and thank you! I'm glad to hear that we may have not lost these old backups.

If memory serves, the backup job was configured as follows:

1. Backup Mode Volume Level Backup
2. Volumes (2) Separate volumes backed up from a server running Server 2008 Standard R2 | One volume was 1.7TB and the other about 5TB (full size)
3. Destination A shared folder backup to a Synology NAS within the same office
4. Shared Folder The network share location was here and I had special authentication credentials setup for these backup jobs | Set to retain backups for almost 2 years (forgot the actual number)
5. Schedule Daily backups scheduled to run at end of business day with a full backup at first and then incremental thereafter

For the errors, I got a couple when trying to access the .VBM and .VBK files;

1. VBM Attempted to use the File Level Restore option in Veeam Agent 2.1 and when I got to the network location where these backups are stored, I could see the VBM backup job but when I tried to select it and hit Next, I would get an error that says "Select a backup to restore files from.".
2. VBK I attempted to directly open the .VBK file by navigating via windows explorer to the network share and telling Veeam Agent to open it, but then got a different error "Veeam Agent for Windows is unable to open backup files created by Veeam Backup & Replication."

As I stated in my original post, when trying to access these backups with a fresh install of Veeam Endpoint Backup 1.5 on a Server 2012 R2 Standard machine, I went to the network location that holds the backup jobs and saw nothing there at all. No errors, just zero jobs to open.

The only "case ID" number that I can tell you about on this is probably my Case #02976598.

Thank you!
-Greg
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Greg can I ask you to download and install Veeam Backup and Replication FREE, then try to initiate Restore or FLR from the VBK you have?
Since you've mentioned the error "Veeam Agent of Windows is unable to open backup files created by Veeam B&R", we shouldn't ignore it.
Also, in the discussion with the technician you've said that initially backups were created by Veeam Backup and Replication. Thanks!
cielostarNA
Novice

Post by cielostarNA » 1 person likes this post

Hmm... I checked the logs again that support had looked at and this is what I see listed as the software used at the time:

"[18.04.2017 14:00:52] < 16688> Windows agent.
[18.04.2017 14:00:52] < 16688> Path to the executable module:C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\x86\VeeamAgent.exe
[18.04.2017 14:00:52] < 16688> Agent version:1.5.0.306"

"[05.04.2018 00:30:20] < 4668> Windows agent.
[05.04.2018 00:30:20] < 4668> Path to the executable module:C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\x64\VeeamAgent.exe
[05.04.2018 00:30:20] < 4668> Agent version:2.1.0.423"

I may have got my software names mixed up, but it looks like the name listed on the software window was "Veeam Endpoint Backup" for version 1.5 and then it changed to "Veeam Agent" when in 2.1.

I'll give "Backup and Replication" free a shot and let you know!

-Greg
cielostarNA
Novice

Post by cielostarNA »

SUCCESS

Sorry for couple days off the grid there. I wanted to be absolutely sure this fix worked for all the files I was trying to recover and it took a numerous hours to constantly open a 4TB backup file and sift through the multiple incremental backups.

While I do not know why the Backup and Replication software worked versus the Veeam Agent, I can say for sure that it was successful and I have been able to open the backup jobs I needed.

Thank you for your help DGrinev - this saved my bacon! :mrgreen:

-Greg
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Gregory,

You are welcome and I am glad you've nailed it!
Don't hesitate to come back to the forum when you need any sort of help.