Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times

Adding new disk to VM - what will Veeam do?

Post by Yuki »

I plan on adding a new virtual disk to our main file server. Then will reconfigure the server to store all volume shadow copies on this disk and will exclude it from Veeam jobs going off-site.

Questions:
1) what will veeam do during next local backup/replica (it sees new disk and just processes it normaly with CBT on old drives)?
2) what will veeam do during next remote backup/replica where we excluded this new disk? (will it just process new CBT data on old disks or will it want a new full backup/replica)?

I'm asking this as previously when we expended disks to give VM guest more space - we had to fully re-create the job from scratch and then do FULL backup/replication (since no old data was available for the new job). Old job would fail if it saw larger drive than before.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Adding new disk to VM - what will Veeam do?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yuki wrote:I'm asking this as previously when we expended disks to give VM guest more space - we had to fully re-create the job from scratch and then do FULL backup/replication (since no old data was available for the new job). Old job would fail if it saw larger drive than before.
Adding new virtual disks (unlike expanding Guest OS disks) doesn't cause this behavior, your job will continue to run normally - process existing disks with CBT engine and sync the newly added disk to the target location.
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times

Post by Yuki »

Excellent, time to implement the change.
Thanks!
Davd
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: David Hirsman

Post by Davd »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Adding new virtual disks (unlike expanding Guest OS disks) doesn't cause this behavior, your job will continue to run normally - process existing disks with CBT engine and sync the newly added disk to the target location.
Just a question regarding your statement "unlike expanding Guest OS disks". I have expanded Guest OS disks several times on our VM's and have never performed a new FULL backup after the change. I have also performed FLR (Windows) from extended Guest OS disks without issues (never performed full VM restore though). Should I do new FULL backups after extending Guest OS?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi David,

No, you don't need to do that. I guess I was not specific enough, my bad, but I was referring to this topic: Procedure for expanding virtual disks

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I guess Vitaliy was talking about replication, where restore points are stored as VMware snapshots and hence do not support the original VM disk size change (causing the entire drive read and, moreover, deletion of all replica restore points except the most recent one).
Davd
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: David Hirsman

Post by Davd »

Ok, great :)
cparker4486
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Chris

Post by cparker4486 »

Davd wrote:Ok, great :)
Glad you cleared that up because I almost had a heart attack. :shock:
-- Chris
fll
Enthusiast
Liked: never

[MERGED] backup job when adding a disk to the virtual

Post by fll »

Hello, we have a virtual machine with a Forever Forward Incremental Backup Job configured in which we exclude a unit in the task (we do not copy SCSI (0:1)). Now we need to add another unit to the copy.
How would Veeam behave in the next task? Would I make a full or would it incremental?
It is important because of space issues in the repository.
On the other hand, we replicate the virtual machine from the backup job.
Would replication make a full or could incorporate the new unit from the backup job?

I wanted to raise another question that could be interesting.
Is it possible to launch the backup of the Veeam Backup Configuration more frequently than allowed from the administration console?

Thanks for everything.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

As to CBT question - everything will be fine, VBR will run incremental, it applies both to replicas and backups.

If you want to run configuration backup more frequently than UI allows to, then you should use PowerShell cmdlet.

Thanks