Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Technogod
Expert
Liked: 26 times

Windows 10 1803 Mouse Problem

Post by Technogod »

I'm restoring my backup of Windows 10 1803 to a VM using VMware to test my backups. The mouse doesn't work in my Recovery Media ISO boot CD or in my restored OS. I just wanted to report this to make sure the engineers were aware of this for the next release of Veeam Agent for Windows.

I reverted back to Windows 10 1709 and Recovery Media ISO boot CD made from Windows 10 1709 and mouse works properly.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Windows 10 1803 Mouse Problem

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

Thank you for the report, we are aware of some issues Windows 10 1803 introduced and will fix them in the upcoming update.
It seems that one of the drivers doesn't work, you can try to plug in the mouse in USB2.0 or USB3.0, since there are independent drivers for each port. Thanks!
ddayton
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Don Dayton

Post by ddayton » 2 people like this post

Very common issue these days. Some of it related to the default BIOS settings on how to handle USB devices, but it is a common problem even with Microsoft OS bootable install disks as well. So far we are still purchasing desktops that still have the legacy PS/2 connections and using these has gotten us around the problem until we get the system restored.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Don,

Thanks for sharing! It's true that correct driver should be loaded to the recovery media (so if, let's say, generic driver get updates - it better to recreate the recovery media).
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: Marc K

Post by mkaec »

Hopefully, the keyboard functionality is complete so lack of a mouse is more of an annoyance than a showstopper. In my past jobs, lack of mouse capability gave management an opportunity to see who the advanced techs really were.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Actually, you can use our wizards without mouse: they supports tab, arrow keys for navigation and space key as input for checkboxes.
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: Marc K

Post by mkaec »

I was in the VAW recovery console just the other day and the keyboard interface did work. One minor suggestion:

When the console starts, it places the mouse in the center of the screen which causes a mouseover effect on one of the buttons. If I use the keyboard interface, that mouseover effect gets in the way and causes confusion. I suggest that the console start the mouse in a corner like position 0, 0.