Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
engieat
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Toschkoff

pre-job script with Backup Copy Job

Post by engieat »

Hello,
once a week I'm running a Backup copy Job to create a backup on an external (USB) hard disk.
As pre-job and post-job script i want to run a script which switches the power to the usb dock on and off (via LAN - power socket). As far as I can see the pre-job is started when the backup job goes live and not when it really starts backuping in the weekend.
Is it possible to start the script or the whole job at a specific time? (at the moment I've configured it to run only on saturday and sunday, but of course it's still listed as continuous)

Thank You,
Peter
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: pre-job script with Backup Copy Job

Post by PTide »

Hi,

The backup copy pre-job scripts are executed at the very beginning of a copy interval. Post-job scripts are executed before the job enters the idle phase. It seems to me that that logic should suffice - pre-script will power-on USB dock every time a new copy interval starts. If your script does work like that then please check the settings - you might have specified the script to run every 3 intervals, for example.

Thanks
engieat
Novice

Post by engieat »

Thank you for your answer! The job hasn't made a copy interval yet, but when initializing, it seemed as if it would start the script. I'll just wait until the weekend when the job will be active for the first time and see if it works.

Thanks again!
engieat
Novice

Post by engieat »

Hello,
as I feared it doesn't work. When copying is complete the script to power down the USB dock is executed - as it should be. But although I've configured the job to only run on saturday and sunday, each day (including monday and tuesday) the power on script is executed.
Is it possible to start a backup copy job only at a specified time instead of running continuously?
Thank You,
Peter
Wocka
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Warwick Ferguson

Post by Wocka »

Hello Peter,
If the script is executing every day and not just Saturday and Sunday, can you put the smarts into the script to check what day it is and only execute on the required days. Otherwise ignore and carry on?
engieat
Novice

Post by engieat »

I may have misspoken. I think it only starts once, unfortunately on monday. When I look at the other copy jobs (which run every day), I see:
Waiting for the new copy interval

When I look at my USB job, I see:
Pre-job script completed successfully
New copy interval started
Building VMs list
Backup file will be encrypted
Waiting for permitted network usage period.

The problem is, I created the job on monday, but told it only to run every 7 days and only allowed saturday or sunday. It seems I must disable the job and enable it on saturday.
Isn't there an easier way to only run a copy job once a week on saturday?