Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tpayne
Service Provider
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Tim Payne

Failover of Windows VM results in New network.

Post by tpayne »

Hello,

When failing over a Windows VM without Re-IP, when it boots up, the network shows up as a new network, and you get the popup upon login to allow network discovery on the new network (which changes the network from public to private).

This environment needs the network set to private for all applications/databases to communicate with each other properly. Logging in to each server and changing the "new" network to private and then rebooting the servers in proper order again is a clunky solution we would like to avoid. Is there a way Veeam can make the OS see the NIC on the failover VM to be the same one as the production? (for example: if the network is labled Network 4 in windows and we fail over, Network 5 is the name when it boots. interestingly it has the same ip info that network 4 did in production)

Or is there a way in Windows to make new networks Private by default?

I found a suggestion to change the local security policy of Unidentified and Identifying Networks location to private, but that didn't seem to solve the issue.

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Failover of Windows VM results in New network.

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Looks very similar to this issue, however I'd suggest you to contact our support team directly so they can confirm. Please post your case ID here once you do.

Thanks
tpayne
Service Provider

Post by tpayne »

I am specifically seeing this issue on Windows Server 2012 R2 and Server 2016.

Upon further testing, I see that the NIC is the same. Veeam replication job seems to also replicate the vnic mac address. Windows still sees it as a new network. It is as if you plug the same nic of a PC into a different network, or connect to a new ssid with Wifi.

This got me wondering about the mac address of the default gateway. This failover scenario does not re-IP. I changed the mac address on the Network Extension Appliance inside interface to match the source default gateway mac address.

This resulted in the failed over vm to have an "Unidentified Network" instead of adding a new network "Network2" like it did before modifying the mac address.

I will open a case as suggested but I thought I'd add my recent findings.
tpayne
Service Provider

Post by tpayne »

Support ID: 03018255