Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
solv
Novice
Liked: never

Agent doesn't check for mounted external drive

Post by solv »

Hi,
I have a case where I configured a nightly backup job to a local device, that device being an external HDD.
The O/S is Kubuntu 18.04 -
When the user plugs in the drive, it has to be selected before being mounted. (KDE Plasma requires the user to select the discovered drive before it mounts it for you)
When mounted it is placed under /media/$username/drivelabel
When first configuring a job Veeam checks to see if this is a valid external location (as in if you try to browse to a location on the same drive it's backing up it won't let you).
However - once the setup is complete, if the user unplugs the ext HDD and then plugs it back in (or if the system is rebooted), the device hasn't been automounted back to that same location, but Veeam agent still continues with the next scehduled backup job.
This causes the OS drive (root partition) to fill up and break the system!

Please fix =)

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Agent doesn't check for mounted external drive

Post by PTide »

Hi,

So, you select an external USB drive as a repository, but Veeam does not check if the device is still mounted, is that correct? Please also keep in mind that Kubuntu 18.04 is not supported yet.

Thanks
solv
Novice

Post by solv »

Hi,
Yes it appears that is the case. It does check on first creation of job, but not on subsequent executions of that job.

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Thank you for your feedback, the request has been noted.

Meanwhile you could stick with a workaround - specify a pre-job script that will check if the storage is present and mounted and will fail the backup job otherwise.

Thanks
solv
Novice

Post by solv »

Excellent, thank you...I didn't know I could do that.

Cheers
cmanzoni
Lurker
Full Name: Cristiano Manzoni

[MERGED] Backup Job started no USB disk to store

Post by cmanzoni »

Dear all,
I've just update the wonderful linux agent to the latest version but there's something strange:
the job is started even if the location configured to store backup is not attached.

My Job backup my entair machine on a external USB disk, the disk is automounted in /mnt/user/data.
When the scheduler starts the job, if the disk is not attached the agent will create /mnt/user/data and the backup starts....

As you can imagine this behavior will fill the HDD...

Is this right, is the software designed to not check if the usb disck is attached? Did I do a wrong configuration?

BR,
Cristiano
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Is this right, is the software designed to not check if the usb disck is attached? Did I do a wrong configuration?
That's correct - VAL currently does not check if USB device is connected, please use pre-job script workaround.

Thanks!