Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Michael

feature request - backup when repository is available

Post by mcz »

Hi everybody,

we are using a policy to protect our agents which are not always online (notebooks) during the backup window. Now you've got the option to start the job once the machine will get started again but if the repository/backup server is still unavailable at that time, the job would fail.

So I'd like to have an option to configure which starts the job when backup repository/server is online again. That means, when backup server and repo isn't available during start time (or during next boot of the os), veeam should check in an appropriate interval (say 10 minutes) if repository/server is available and start the job then.

Please let me know what you think about it - thank you!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: feature request - backup when repository is available

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I think that the "When backup target is connected" checkbox is exactly what you need. Have you tried enabling it?

Thanks
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

Well I haven't enabled it because I understood it in a different way. I thought if you check it and repo becomes online it would do the backup (no matter that for example you only wannt to take a backup on friday). In our case we just wannt one backup per week (on friday).

So what exactly does this option do?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

This event will trigger backup job whenever your device gets access to the repository. This will work for USB device being attached to the computer with backup agent or for remote target such as share folder or Veeam backup repository being 'visible' by agent.
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

yeah and that is not what I wannted. I would like to do a backup once a week and IF repo isn't available, it should start the job when it will be visible. So with the current options it wouldn't be possible, right?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

You can use the Back up no more often than every setting to prevent the job from running more than once a week.

Thanks
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

oh fantastic, I haven't thought about it - thank you!