Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ssSFrankSss
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Frank Mysirlakis

How to setup back up for greater speed?

Post by ssSFrankSss »

Hi,

I would like to ask what is the best practice to set up my back up for speed. Right now I have three servers with distributed switches and vSAN. A NAS with two LAN ports is going to be used for back up.

So what would you recommend?

1) Set up a link aggregation with 2 lan ports on each server and the NAS.
2) Create two IPs in NAS and use one to one connection between server and NAS, and share the jobs between two lans.

I would go for (1) but I have read in older posts that there is not that much that you gain from link aggregation. Speaking in 2018 what would you suggest? :)
jochot
Expert
Liked: 5 times

Re: How to setup back up for greater speed?

Post by jochot » 1 person likes this post

I'm moving away from NAS now, so I'm not playing around with it anymore, but I have 4 ports in a Bond which doesn't give me any speed advantage at all.
I thought about having 4 (in your case 2) ports with different IP's and create virtual drives for two shares, each for one port. Then add both ports as different repos in Veeam and make a scale-out repo out of them.
Like that, you'll have 2x1gbit/s and 2 queues for the virtual drives.
Additionally, you have the problem that you need a Gateway Server for those NAS anyway, so the bottleneck could just move over to that one, you need to improve the speed of that gateway server also.

As I said, this is just theoretical and I didn't test it yet as we move away from NAS in a month anyway.

For the Server side, I'd say create a NIC Team on those because you'll see improved speed not just for the Backup but for the Service that is running on the Server. (+ redundancy)
ssSFrankSss
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Frank Mysirlakis

Re: How to setup back up for greater speed?

Post by ssSFrankSss »

Thank you.

I will start with link aggregation, check if I am happy with speeds, if not, I will change to two IPs. I will post my result.

(Similar post, but not 100% clear) -> https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-r ... 24282.html