Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ANG
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Anjan Ganguly

SQL database replication through Veeam Backup and Replic9.5

Post by ANG »

I have requirement for the following information in a VM set up.

I have 2 SQL server 2016 instances.Say SQL instance 1 is SQLInst1 and SQL Instance 2 is SQLINst2. Both SQL server 2016 instances are running in 2 different VMs hosted in 2 different Physical server.We are using Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5 version. My system works on DC DR concept.My DC is location 1 where SQLInst1 is running and DR is SQLInst2 in Location 2. SQLInst1 and SQLInst2 are mirror image of each other.The database attached with SQLInst1 is identical with that of SQLInst2. I like to know the following information.

1) Whether I can take periodic database backup of databases from SQLInst1 and copy the backup to SQLInst2 and restore the backup to SQLInst2 periodically (say 1 hour interval)

2) And restore the incremental portion to SQLInst2 in every 1 hour.

I have WAN link in between SQLInst1 and SQLInst2. But quality of link is good.And my Database full backup should not go >500 MB.

For some specific reason, I do not want to use SQL mirroring.

Can I do the same through Veeam Backup and Restore Solution 9.5?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: SQL database replication through Veeam Backup and Replic

Post by Dima P. »

ANG wrote:1) Whether I can take periodic database backup of databases from SQLInst1 and copy the backup to SQLInst2 and restore the backup to SQLInst2 periodically (say 1 hour interval)
You can take backup automatically according to the set schedule but it's impossible to automate the recovery for your case. If the backup and, manual restore when required, works for your then you are good to go with this approach.
ANG wrote:For some specific reason, I do not want to use SQL mirroring.
You can replicate you source VM to another host - take a look at Veeam B&R replication capabilities.
ANG
Novice

Post by ANG »

Can you bit elaborate what you meant to say by "backup and,manual restore when required" ?
What I understand from your answer is that taking backup of SQL database is possible through Veeam. Am I correct?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Yes, SQL backup is fully supported. Moreover, you can setup the periodic transaction logs shipping to the backup repository. Backup job is an automated process, but restore should be performed manually.
ANG
Novice

Post by ANG »

Thanks for the reply.It help me a lot. Can you share some link or procedure to configure the periodic SQL backup job.The link that you have shared describes about the concept.Is there any doc (steps explained) to configure the same? Veaam is quite new to me.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Here you can find more information regarding that. Thanks.
ANG
Novice

Post by ANG »

One thing is not becoming clear to me. SQL database Backup that we take from SQL Server Server Management Studio(SSMS),is a file with extension say .bak. This file can be copied to other SQL Server machine and can be restored by going to SSMS. Does Veeam Backup and Replication Suit 9.5 does the same job unlike SSMS for a database.
I came to know that Veeam Backup and Replication suit talks storage with the help of HP catalyst API software in HP storage and the file stored is in encrypted format.
My question is does Veeam Backup and Replication Suit 9.5 can take backup unlike SSMS and the same can be copied to the other server at the other side of the WAN OR some other file copy Mechanism (like Rsynch etc) is required for file copy.Also I got a point in Veeam replication section that says'
" Select Backup logs periodically to back up transaction logs with Veeam Backup & Replication. Veeam Backup & Replication will periodically copy transaction logs to the backup repository and store them together with the image-level backup of the Microsoft SQL Server VM. During the backup job session, transaction logs on the VM guest OS will be truncated."

If I take backup of Data base from SQLInst1 through Veeam, and store it to the storage, Can I restore the same in SQLInst2 through SSMS Restore Backup facility OR it will be an "Encrypted file".
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Anjan, regardless of whether HPE Catalyst is involved or not, Veeam B&R stores backups in a proprietary format that can be read by Veeam B&R only. You can copy the backup to the other side (manually or using backup copy jobs, for example), but to perform database restore, you need Veeam B&R (its component, Veeam Explorer for SQL Server, to be specific).
ANG
Novice

Post by ANG »

@foggy:- Does VEAM Explorer for SQL server comes with Veeam B & R solution suit or it is a separate utility that needs to be purchased separately? Can you give me some reference link stating the procedure of SQL database replication through it?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

It's a part of Veeam B&R, but it's not used for replication, just for restore.
cm82
Lurker
Full Name: Celia Mercedes

Post by cm82 »

In case you do this having SQL VMs:
You can replicate you source VM to another host - take a look at Veeam B&R replication capabilities.
Does it guarantee the integrity of data?

Regards
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: SQL database replication through Veeam Backup and Replic9.5

Post by wishr »

Hi Celia,

Sure, it is achieved with the help of AAIP and SureReplica that is complemented by SQL Server Checker Script.

Thanks,
Fedor