Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
coreya123
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: corey arndt

Suggestions for backing up Oracle VM on Windows

Post by coreya123 »

Hello,
We are new to Veeam. We have an Oracle Database running on a VMWare Windows Server that we want to backup (database and server) and then recover the server and/or the database. We are not high-level Oracle experts but we do want to be sure that we are backing up the server and database correctly and in a 'consistent' state. It may be easy to backup the server and database but the key will be is if the backups are correct so that a restore is successful...yes we would need to test

If we use application aware processing...
During the backup will users be disconnected for any amount of time while the backup is performed?
Will the database be backed up in a consistent state?
During a restore of the server or the database...will we need to do anything to the database with logs, scripts, or anything after a restore...or will Veeam take care of everything correctly?
Anything else I should know of about backing up an open/active Oracle database with Veeam?

If we enable log backups...
Will restores or recovery of the database or server work just as simple to restore to a point of time or do we need to deal with logs or some manual work?
Anything else I may be missing regarding recovery/restore of the server or database?

If there is anything else you can offer to help us be more comfortable with moving forward with Veeam for Oracle it would greatly be appreciated. I am just wanting to be sure that we do all we can to ensure everything works as well as possible.

Thank you
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Suggestions for backing up Oracle VM on Windows

Post by Andreas Neufert »

If we use application aware processing...
During the backup will users be disconnected for any amount of time while the backup is performed?
No if you run the database in ArchiveLog mode.

Will the database be backed up in a consistent state?
Yes, we send commands like alter database begin backup. Oracle User Managed Backup processing standard.

During a restore of the server or the database...will we need to do anything to the database with logs, scripts, or anything after a restore...or will Veeam take care of everything correctly?
We take care about anything and bring back the database to online stage.

Anything else I should know of about backing up an open/active Oracle database with Veeam?

If we enable log backups...
Will restores or recovery of the database or server work just as simple to restore to a point of time or do we need to deal with logs or some manual work?
Our Veeam Explorer for Oracle will take care about DB restore and logfile rollforward to the selected point in time.

Anything else I may be missing regarding recovery/restore of the server or database?
No, but I suggest to look at our documentation for Oracle processing in the Veeam Helpcenter for Oracle Guest processing and the Veeam Explorer for Oracle.