Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
signal
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

SQL restore using explorer

Post by signal »

I'm working in an environment which is locked down with UAC, Windows firewall and network firewalls.
During SQL server restore using the explorer it looks like the Veeam Installer service is being installed on the SQL server and the backup server and/or SQL Explorer (run on the same VM) is trying to connect to this service. This is not documented in either https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 or https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95.
What is the workflow of the restore operation?
Which ports are actually being used?
  • VBR Version is 9.5u3
  • Database version for staging server is MS SQL 2014 Express
  • Database version for target server is 2016 Standard
  • Windows Server version is 2012 R2 (on all servers)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SQL restore using explorer

Post by foggy »

TCP, UDP 135, 445 ports are required to deploy a runtime coordination process on a target SQL Server, which is mentioned on the second page you're referring to. Besides, there's a Veeam SQL Restore Service runtime component that uses TCP ports 1025 - 1034 (which can be configured).
signal
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by signal »

Yes. I see the runtime ports, but there is no network port specification for 6160 which is used by the installer service to deploy the runtime agent. This should be added to the port specifications.

I'd love to see some extended specifications for this and all other operations. Some kind of network flow with service specifications would make implementations in security hardened environments a lot easier.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This port is mentioned in the mount server requirements, which you anyway should review since mount service is used during restore. Anyway, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.