Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
PariPari
Expert
Liked: 10 times

Office 365 Groups Backup?

Post by PariPari »

Hello,

I couldn't find any information about it, but is there a plan to support backup of Office 365 Groups/Teams and Project Online as well?
Cause only Exchange Online isn't enough for most companys.

Best regards
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Office 365 Groups Backup?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Pari,

OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online have already been announced for version 2. Teams and Groups are under investigation. For project online we haven't started thinking about it. If we would deliver it in the future, how would you see the different items (teams/ groups/ project online) protected? And what recoveries would you like to see? How granular? What is the most common scenario where you would need a recovery?

Those questions could help us a lot in getting insight

Thanks
Mike
ICMemlane
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ian

Post by ICMemlane »

We would need this. We are an MSP and a lot of clients are smaller a prefer to use Groups/Teams over SharePoint Libraries. Internally we use them almost exclusively now with our SharePoint sites becoming a bit of a ghost town.

For recover the most import is files. After that it would be nice to be able to recover the conversations/emails and the whole group/team but as long we could get the files I would feel the backup has value. For the recovery it would be nice to have the options to recover the files either to a local location or back into the group/team itself.

It's worth noting that no one else can do this right now, I've looked. It would be a great way for Veeam to differentiate itself from everyone else if they could add this.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Great feedback! Thanks for this! No promises but we will certainly look into it
PariPari
Expert
Liked: 10 times

Post by PariPari » 1 person likes this post

I am sorry, the response from our team members toke a while :D

Q: If we would deliver it in the future, how would you see the different items Teams
A: Backup Conversations and the Content like OneNote, Files, Planner, SharePoint and co.

Q: groups
A: OneNote, Files, Planner, SharePoint and co.

Q: project online
A: Projects

Q: And what recoveries would you like to see? How granular? 
A: Site and single Item restore. OneNote Parts and OneNote Site restores

Q: What is the most common scenario where you would need a recovery?
A: Accidental deletion of documents or OneNote pages, deletion of whole groups or Teams (which is way to easy atm)
whimark
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Markus Johansson

Post by whimark »

Hi,

Im currently testing the beta and I ran into a problem when backing up groups. We currently have 3750+ groups , and more to come, but the Veeam beta only lists the first 1000 it can access, and I think its an result of the output below.

"PS C:\Users\USERNAME> (Get-UnifiedGroup).count
WARNING: By default, only the first 1000 items are returned. Use the ResultSize parameter to specify the number of items returned. To return all items, specify "-ResultSize Unlimited". Be aware that, depending on the actual number of items, returning all items can take
a long time and consume a large amount of memory. Also, we don't recommend storing the results in a variable. Instead, pipe the results to another task or script to perform batch changes."

Best regards
Markus
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Markus,

Could you sent the logs to your SE? We will need to investigate this

Thanks
Mike
whimark
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Markus Johansson

Post by whimark »

Mike Resseler wrote:Markus,

Could you sent the logs to your SE? We will need to investigate this

Thanks
Mike
Hi Mike,

Cant upload the logs to Veeam directly? Our SE isnt the fastest one to reply :)

Best Regards
Markus
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

I sent you a PM message
Aldijoe
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sebastian Fritzsche

Post by Aldijoe »

Hey Mike,

You've mentioned
Mike Resseler wrote: Sep 28, 2017 2:42 pm 2. Teams and Groups are under investigation.
We are also very interested in that, because we are in front of a decision if we will use Veeam for the o365 backup.
Our current problem is, that a restore of a complete Team with planner etc. is not possible yet.

Can you please give me an update on this topic?

Regards
Sebastian
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Sebastian,
First: Welcome to the forums
Second: Since version 2 (and if you look at the beginning of this forum, you see we have version 3 in beta since yesterday) we support Office 365 groups and Microsoft Teams (partially).
I will explain the partially. The data that you add to teams such as documents, chats and so on are all being protected. However, due to the lack of API's for Teams, we can't get the metadata of the channels and tabs at this moment. So if you delete a tab that (for example) was showing a spreadsheet, then you can recover the spreadsheet easily (the actual data) but you need to manually recreate the tab, and then attach the recovered document again.

Makes sense?
Aldijoe
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sebastian Fritzsche

Post by Aldijoe »

Hey Mike,

Thanks for your response. I've some additional questions:
1. Is a restore of planner possible
2. Is partial restore of an deleted group possible?
3. If there would be a better API-integration, would you plan to extend the Teams integration?

Regards
Sebastian
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Sebastian,

1. Attachments attached to planner tasks can be restored, but the task itself not. No API's for the moment but MSFT is aware of our request for that
2. We recover the data that is inside that group (documents / emails / ...) It is perfectly possible to restore 1 file or all of it. The group itself is Azure Active Directory so we cannot restore that. If someone deleted the group from AAD, you need to use MSFT ways to restore it, or build a new group and do a restore to a different group (the name can be the same, but the UUID will change so for us it is a new group)
3. Yes