Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
johannesk
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

Information about tape restore points

Post by johannesk »

Hi,

I need to provide to auditors a list of restore points available for certain vm's. The list needs to include restore points available from a disk backup job and tape jobs.

I can do this for diskbackups with powershell, but it's not possible to list tape restorepoints with powershell. Aslo, from Veeam ONE this information is not available.

How can I with a SQL query list up restore points? I'm looking for to get the same information I would get if I go to 'Restore - vmware' or 'restore - tape job'.

So the information is clearly in the database. I just need to get it from the Veeam database in a list. I created a support case to get information about how to query the database for this information, but they pointed me to the forums.

I know this is possible via SQL query. Can I please ask Veeam developers for the script to do this?

regards,
Jóhannes
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Information about tape restore points

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jóhannes,

Writing SQL queries to the database is highly not recommended, besides people behind these forums cannot do this. Maybe we would be able to come up with a combination of Veeam ONE reports that might allow you to achieve your goal. What if you try to take a look at these reports and then combine 1 single report (via report builder in Veeam ONE):

1. If we're talking about compliance and audit, then the summary from this report should give an idea of how many restore points you have and on what media: VMs with no Archive Copy
2. As soon as you filter out VMs you would like to receive data for, then you can run this report and scope it to the backup to tape jobs just to show that you had successful job runs for the required VMs.
3. Finally, this tape report should allow you to show not only which backup files (named after the tape job) are stored on the tape device, but also drill down and see what is exactly there. This does not allow you to select the VM, but it can show the backup file and VM names stored on a tape media.

Hope it helps!
johannesk
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

Post by johannesk »

I have looked throug all the mentioned reports already.

The thing is that the administrator of a backup system needs to work with auditors on regular basis. Information we provide to auditors can have huge influence for the better or the worse for our company.

I guess I'm facing an embaracing meeting during the audit.

I actually already use the 'vm's with no archive copy' report, to show that a vm has got restore point on a tape media set.
But the display of that report creates confusion and always calls for explanation. None of the tape reports are useful for me. Some have useful information in the drilldown, but I cant export that by scheduled report, only by hand.

I have some specific ideas on points that need to be reported regarding backups contained on tapes. If Veeam product management is willing to do some work on enhancing reporting capabilities, I would we willing to share my ideas. It's actually fun to work with auditors when one can present to them the needful information.

regards,
Jóhannes
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 2 people like this post

johannesk wrote:If Veeam product management is willing to do some work on enhancing reporting capabilities, I would we willing to share my ideas.
Absolutely, I'm all ears. ;)