Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
JosvwHLT
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jos van Wordragen

Tape catalog incomplete for tape backup jobs

Post by JosvwHLT »

At the moment i'm experiencing issues with my tape catalog. A file to tape job with 1.2million files (stored in a huge amount of folders) doesn't reflect all the data completely in the catalog. The data is on tape, a re-catalog does give the same result. Only a part of the backed up data is reflected in the catalog. I'm running Veeam B&R 9.5 Update 3, database is MS SQL 2014 Standard SP2 based (recently upgraded from a MS SQL 2012 Expresse Edition). Only recently discovered the problem, don't know if it existed already with the form SQL version. The file to tape job is based on VeeamFLR. Has anyone exprienced these catalog issues before?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape catalog incomplete for tape backup jobs

Post by veremin »

Could you elaborate on where exactly you see backup data missing? You selected the necessary tape, clicked Properties on the ribbon and didn't find the previously backed up files? The file to tape job didn't generate any errors before (reference to certain files being skipped, etc.)?
JosvwHLT
Enthusiast

Post by JosvwHLT »

Thanks for responding Vladimir. The file to tape job runs succesfully, if i right click and list the properties from the loaded tape i see all the backupped data, for example the backkuped user data of all the users (uptill the last one) is on tape. When i go to the Veaam interface and check the cataloged data (under Files - Tape) and list the data from the succesfull backup job i only see the user data partly (the backkuped user structure runs only to, for example users with the letter "R", everything what follows ("S" till "Z") are not in the catalog, but it is on tape. Re-cataloging the tape doesn't make any difference. The file structure which is being backupped and which is partly missing in the catalog has 493.668 files and 92.090 folders.
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost »

Hi Jos. Would you please check the number of objects displayed in Files - Tape node in the bottom left corner. There's a limitation to show only the first 1000 objects in every folder. You may use search field above the list to find the desired files/folders.
JosvwHLT
Enthusiast

Post by JosvwHLT »

Hi Konstantin, thanks. That solved the matter. I believe there is nothing in the Veeam documentation which mentions this limitation. Might be worth mentioning it somewhere? Thanks again!
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost » 1 person likes this post

Sounds reasonable. We've updated the user guide (see note below). Thanks.