Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
BackToBack
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: BacktoBack

Data Backup Strategy

Post by BackToBack »

I'm new here and I urgently need good advice from you. I backup my VM's and the data with Veeam Backup & Replication to Disk and from Disk to Tape.

Now the memory limit of tape is exceeded. That's why I switched to two instead of one backup job. Now I save all the data with the first job and the archive with a second job. Because the archive is big.

For the backup, I had to exclude the folder archive in the first job and in the second backup job I only have the archive folder for the backup. Important: The data and the archive are all on the same partition.

My question to you is:
Is this type excluding the folder a good solution or not?considering also the restoration! Or should I better create a separate partition for the archive and set the backup?

thank you for your efforts
greeting
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Data Backup Strategy

Post by foggy »

Could you please be more specific on what kind of archive is it and what types of jobs do you use (regular backup jobs, backup copy jobs, backup to tape, etc.)? Thanks.
BackToBack
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: BacktoBack

Post by BackToBack »

Sure.

this archive is a data archive...old projects folder. Server has Partition C:\ D:\ and E:\
On E:\ are two Folders
-->1. Data(all Project Data)
-->2. Archive(all old Project Data)

I do the file exclusion and inclusion in the Backup Job over Guest Processing.

Everyday i do a Backup from my VM to the Disk and the generated Disk Backup to Tape. Includes the 1. Data(all Project Data) excluded the E:\ Archive Folder.
Everyday I do a Backup for the Archive Folder to the Disk and sometimes manually the generated Disk to Tape. 2 Archive(old Project Data)

I have to set in the first Backup Job to exclude the Archive Folder because I had not enough space on one Tape. So I have decided to generate the second Backup Job (2. Archive) and there i say special Backup only the Folder E:\ Archive.

This is what I actually use. But I'm not sure if this way is the best way. Could it be better, if i make a new Partition Example F:\ Archive for this Backup or is my actually way safe enough. Particular attention to the restoration.

I hope you have more information. thanks for the fast respond.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

There might be some complications, only if you need to restore current and old projects together to the same VM. Other than that the scenario should work OK. Thanks.