Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Damjans
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Damjan Semenic

How to restore Linux agent backup on VMware Sphere

Post by Damjans »

Hi everyone,

We're using Backup and replication tool 9.5.0.1038 free edition and we're trying to restore VM backup that is made with free Linux agent. Do you have any tutorial how is done? Is that not possible with free backup and replication software or. should boot virtual machine from bootable CD and then restore everything?

Can someone please give us a hint, what is the easiest way to restore complete VM.

Thank you
Damjan
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: How to restore Linux agent backup on VMware Sphere

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Damjan,

To restore a VM to a vSphere host, you should be using disk export option in Veeam B&R. Here is a link to the UG for more info > Exporting disks

Thank you!
Damjans
Novice

Post by Damjans »

Hi Vitaly,

I don't see that option. I saw online tutorials, but our version doesn't have so many options. Do we need to make some activation for free version?

Our agent is also not connected with Veam B&R. It copies backups directly to NAS.

Best regards
Damjan
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ah... in this case, can you try to import your backups to Veeam backup console? Once Veeam B&R server detects that you have Agent backups present, then it will unlock the Agent-related functionality.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

You can also use Veeam Recovery Media to perform BMR. Please note, that in most cases you'll have to regenerate initramfs in order to make restored VM to boot on the hypervisor. Check this thread for more info.

Thanks.
Damjans
Novice

Post by Damjans »

Hi all,

first i have recovered everything with recovery media. Then I have imported backup and know I can see additional options. I didn't know how to see them before. Maybe there is a manual that has all this steps I have missed them.

Thank you again and best regards
Damjan
Damjans
Novice

Post by Damjans »

Hi everyone,

we see import backup option only if we enable full functionality view. Is there any other way to import backup in free Veeam. If there is not, are there any other free licence limitations if we enable full functionality every time we need it?

Best regards
Damjan
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,

No there is no other way. May I ask you why do you need another way to import aside of Full View?

Thanks
Damjans
Novice

Post by Damjans »

PTide wrote:Hi,

No there is no other way. May I ask you why do you need another way to import aside of Full View?

Thanks
Hi,

But we don't have the licence for full functionality view? so we can still use some options that are seen only in full functionality view without any other limitations?

Thank you and best regards
Damjan
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

You don't need a license to enable Full Functionality view. Please see this page of the guide.

Thanks
Damjans
Novice

Post by Damjans »

O.k. Your link is not working. We thought that if we switch to full functionality mode, that in time some functionalities won't be accessable anymore.

that link is working
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

yours and one found on google is not
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... modes.html

But we still can't find any info in documentation which functionalities are also accessable in free edition.

so "Full functionality (advanced)" shows everything that is possible in free edition and "Free functionality only" shows only basic functionalites. we have thought that "Full functionality (advanced)" mode shows also possibilities that are in payed edition. "Free functionality only" should be renamed to "Basic functionality only" :).

Best regards
Damjan
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

O.k. Your link is not working.
That is really weird - I've tested it on other people and all was fine. Would tell us what error code does it give?
But we still can't find any info in documentation which functionalities are also accessable in free edition.
This comparison table should help.

"Full Functionality" shows everything, however those functions that are not allowed in free version will fail if you try to use them (e.g. run backup jobs).

Thanks
Damjans
Novice

Post by Damjans »

Thank you for everything. Now is everything clearer. Previously I have received xml or something like it (xsd ... ). But now is working. I will try to reproduce that error and if I do, I'll upload the foto.

Best regards
Damjan