Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ivanildo.galvao
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ivanildo Galvão

Disk Pool on Veeam

Post by ivanildo.galvao »

I was called by a client to optimize the task of backups of your Hyper-V virtual environment. The virtual machines together give 4TB in size to perform the backup.
The server where Veeam is installed is running Windows Server 2012, has 1TB SATA and USB disks each, the client does not want to buy new disks or an iSCSI storage to store vms backups.
What would be the best way to ensure that backups are made? Create a disk pool with these external SATA and USB disks, to add their capabilities and then create a new Veeam Backup Repository ?

Thanks !
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Disk Pool on Veeam

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Ivanildo,

Can you elaborate a bit, so Veeam B&R is a physical server with external SATA and USB disks attached to it?
What about virtual environment is it a single Hyper-V host with local storage? Thanks!
ivanildo.galvao
Influencer

These are two Hyper-V servers with multiple virtual machines.
Veeam is on a separate server, with Windows Server 2012 installed, Veeam has two 1TB USB disks and two 1TB SATA internal disks.

I see the creation of two Disk Pools, one with two USB disks and the other as SATA disks, as a solution to split the storage of the backups.

What do you think ?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Dividing backup storage into two independent pools with ability to detach USB disks is a good solution for better reliability.
If the capacity of these pools is enough for storing the VMs data, then feel free to do it.
Please keep in mind you will have two repositories in this case, because it cannot consist of two Disk pools. Thanks!
ivanildo.galvao
Influencer

Okay, thanks for your cooperation!
AndrewBk
Novice
Full Name: Andrew Bk

Post by AndrewBk »

I know this appears resolved...
But I have a couple of questions.

Am I reading your initial post right?

You have a number of virtual machines that you want to back up that total up as 4Tb in size.
You have 2x1Tb internal drives and 2x1Tb external USB drives (so 4Tb total) that you want to back up to?

Are you only planning on having one full backup? Because if you fill all your storage (if it's possible to spread your backup across devices/pools), you can't do another without deleting the first one. You will only be able to go back as far as the last backup with nothing before it.

Is that correct?