Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
arshad
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Arshad Javed

How Will Take Monthly Backup on Tape for Offsite Storage

Post by arshad »

Hi,

I am using Veeam Backup and replication 9.5 and as per my company Policy every month i have to take the Full Backup of all Virtual machines on the Tape and send it to the other site for OFFSITE storage.
I don't mind if i have to run this backup every month manually instead of scheduled this Job.

Thanks
Arshad Javed
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: How Will Take Monthly Backup on Tape for Offsite Storage

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello arshad.

With backup to tape you can schedule monthly backup to tape (it's also possible to configure the virtual full to tape if you don't need incremental restore points). Check backup to tape job Help Center article for more details. Additional you have two options how to organize your tape backups: you can use simple media pool if monthly full is the only requirement or you can use GFS media pool if you want to take weekly/quarterly or yearly backups, in addition to monthly fulls.
arshad
Novice

Post by arshad »

Hi Dima
Thank you very much for assisting me, In my case i don't think that i need to select the incremental option because once i will take Full Monthly Backup i will send these tapes to the OFFSITE for storage and for the next month i will use the new tapes for new full backup, Please correct me if i am wrong.
Another thing if you could also assist me how i can take full backup directly from Production storage instead from the existing repository where already backup is Lying.
Thanks
Arshad
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Arshad,
i don't think that i need to select the incremental option because once i will take Full Monthly Backup i will send these tapes to the OFFSITE for storage and for the next month i will use the new tapes for new full backup
Full backups will work in such case.
Another thing if you could also assist me how i can take full backup directly from Production storage instead from the existing repository where already backup is Lying.
With Veeam B&R we follow disk to disk to tape approach in order to keep the load off from your production. That means there is no way to place the VM on tape unless you have a backup file on your disk storage (Veeam repositor). Typical scenario would look like this: you configure the VM backup job to disk (Veeam repository) to keep X restore points. Then you set up backup to tape job with this VM backup job as a source for the desired day. Tape job will write all exising restore points from disk to tape or tape job will write only full backups to tape (also you can set synthesized full backup to be created from an incremental restore point to be created for tape backup for cases when you don't have full restore point on disk storage).
arshad
Novice

Post by arshad »

Hi Thank you very much for your above clarification as per the above link provided backup to Tape Job Help, I will create the Policy for OFFSITE STORAGE and will select the option Run This Job after i finish to create this Policy so the Tape Job will start immediately and will start backing up the latest VBK from backup repository to tape, once the backup on tape will be finished i will remove these tapes and send it for OFFSITE STORAGE. After completing the backup i will make this policy DISABLE because now i have to run this backup next month for Full Backup on new Tapes.
Here my question is that when next month i will put the new tapes in the tape library and will enable the above policy after that how i will start this Job ? Should i need to click on ACTIVE FULL and start the backup ? or How because this is not scheduled Job.

Kindly let me know one more think if i will enable incremental backup also with the same job. Is there any harm in that because i will always run this policy manually so every month i will have FULL LATEST VBK along with the available Incremental file on TAPE.

I am new for Veeam please apologies me if you feel my questions are very basic and silly but i want to make sure and confident about what i am doing because data is very critical for any organization.
Thanks
ARSHAD JAVED
arshad
Novice

Post by arshad » 1 person likes this post

HI Dima
Waiting for your reply Please.
Thanks
Arshad
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

arshad wrote:when next month i will put the new tapes in the tape library and will enable the above policy after that how i will start this Job ? Should i need to click on ACTIVE FULL and start the backup ? or How because this is not scheduled Job.
You can run tape job right after you enable it and all full backups are going to be placed on tape media in the set media pool. If you check the option to process the lastest backup chain then only the latest full backup will be processed.
arshad wrote: if i will enable incremental backup also with the same job. Is there any harm in that because i will always run this policy manually so every month i will have FULL LATEST VBK along with the available Incremental file on TAPE.

If you don't want to process incremental restore points then do not configure it. Otherwise tape job will write all exising incrementals to tape.